The Computer and Information Systems (CIS) department exists to serve the SPU community, specifically in relation to the technologies for academics and instruction, plus the business functions of the university.
Contact the CIS Office
- Contact CIS
In Person: Lower Marston Hall, Campus Map
M–F, 7:30 a.m.– 5:00 p.m.
Many of the technologies CIS maintains, are intended for use 24/7. CIS staff members are available around the clock to assist in emergency situations. See the after-hours instructions below if the CIS office is closed.
To report an urgent technical problem during CIS non-business hours, contact SPU Campus Security at 206-281-2922. Security officers are available to handle your call and forward pertinent information to the appropriate CIS technician. For non-urgent off hours support, please submit your request via the Ask CIS Email Form and we'll get back to you during the next business day.
Weekly Systems Maintenance Window
In order to maintain the servers, network devices, applications, and online resources, CIS staff must perform routine maintenace. Whenever possible, that work will be scheduled to take place between 4:00am-7:00am (Seattle time) on Wednesday mornings. During this maintenance window CIS may need to reboot systems, upgrade software, replace old equipment, and disrupt services.
Banner Weekly Backup
The Banner Information System is taken off-line every Saturday night from 10:00pm to 10:15pm (Seattle time) for a system back-up. During this time, the Banner Information System is unavailable.
Online Support Tools
- Ask CIS
Complete this Ask CIS Email Form to request specific support and assistance from CIS. Replies by email are provided by the next business day, if not sooner.
- SPU Download Center
CIS maintains software licenses for several products that are available at the SPU Download Center. This software is available to current faculty, staff and students. Login is required.
- CIS Technology News & Updates
Periodically, CIS sends technology updates via email to the campu community. Watch your email for the subject line "CIS Technology Update" for the latest and greatest from your friends in CIS.
Areas of Support
CIS manages a number of core university technology server resources, including but not limited to:
- Banner Information System - the university's primary administrative system
- Classroom instructional technology
- Core servers and hardware components of the campus network
- Faculty and staff desktop and laptop computers
- Software licensing (Microsoft, McAfee, SPSS, etc.) and software distribution/resale
- Campus email system (Microsoft Exchange)
- Specialized/special purpose central database servers
- Campus-wide network resources and access to the Internet
- Telecommunications systems, including telephone, voicemail, unified messaging, and cable TV
- Walk-in, email and telephone support via the CIS HelpDesk (Lower Marston)