Professor of Music; Director of Symphony Orchestra
Office: Crawford 101
Education: DMA, University of Washington, 1986; MM, Colorado State University, 1974; BME, Wheaton College, 1971. At SPU since 1979.
Eric Hanson has been teaching for 43 years, and directs the SPU Symphony Orchestra. His degrees include a Bachelor of Music Education from Wheaton College Conservatory, a Master of Music in Conducting from Colorado State University, and a Doctor of Musical Arts from the University of Washington. His dissertation plumbed the elegant relationships between the symphonies of Gustav Mahler and the philosophy of Arthur Schopenhauer.
Dr. Hanson’s honors include Mu Phi Epsilon Music Professor of the Year (Beta Phi Chapter), the Weter Award for Meritorious Scholarship, a National Endowment for the Humanities Fellowship to Harvard, and an NEH grant to study at the Beethoven Institute. He is an Oxford Roundtable Scholar. Dr. Hanson has conducted dozens of orchestras in the United States, Canada, and Europe. He is a frequent guest conductor with the Northwest Mahler Festival, and also frequently lectures for the Seattle Symphony and other arts organizations.
- "Gustav Mahler and the Will: Tracing a Motive Through the Symphonies." Doctoral Dissertation, University of Washington 1986.
- Two book reviews for the New Oxford Review:
- Hymns That Live, Frank Colquhoun
- I, Francis, Carlo Carretto
- Book review for the German Studies Review, 1993:
- Music as Cultural Practice, 1800-1900, Kramer, Lawrence
- "Giovanni Gabrieli of San Marco," Seattle Pacific University Review, 1985.
- Programs notes, Thalia Symphony, 1987-2010.
- "The Symphony Orchestra: Organic Community from a Chaotic System." Chaos or Community, A. K. Rice Institute 1995.
- Program notes, Northwest Mahler Festival, 1996-present (including translating German texts).
- Program notes, Green Mountain Mahler Festival (Vermont) 2009-present.
- Program notes, Classic Cascade, 2002.
- "How We Got Here: Historical Reflections on the Rifts Between Ways of Knowing." Forum on Public Policy 2010.
Please view Dr. Hanson's CV (PDF) for additional publications.
Why I Teach at SPU
Eric Hanson, Professor of Music; Director of Symphony Orchestra
"I teach at Seattle Pacific University because I cannot not teach. I have a burning desire to share with students the rich corpus of great music to empower them to realize their creative potential."