P–12 CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS FOR ART, DRAMA, MUSIC, AND HEALTH/FITNESS
For a complete overview of the Residency Teacher Certification Program, visit the School of Education in this Undergraduate Catalog.
P–12 Certification students must check with their discipline's
advisor for specific requirements.
- Official admission to SPU
- Sophomore standing (45
- Cumulative 2.8 GPA, or 3.0 GPA in last 30 credits
- Starting a file in
the School of Education (contact the education office to obtain
- Successful completion of the Foundations Quarter
- Junior standing (90 credits)
- Acceptance into major
- Admission to the School of Education
- Cumulative GPA of 3.0, or 3.3 in last 45 credits
- Pass School of Education interview (if taking Foundations autumn 2012 or later)
- Pass ENG 3301 with a grade of C or better (if admitted to the University autumn 2012 or later)
- Completion of EDU 4530 with a grade of "C" or better
- Fingerprint clearance
- Passing the Washington state "basic skills" testing requirement for teachers
- Taking the appropriate Washington state endorsement specific test for each endorsement sought
Subject specific Skills Courses
These courses may be taken independently of each other and the professional quarters. See specific course descriptions as these courses are prerequisites for continuation in the certification sequence.
A student must receive a grade of "C" or better in all methods and skills courses to be recommended for certification.
Integrated and Internship Quarters
- Successful completion of the Methods Quarter
- Completion of 15 upper-division credits in a major
- A passing
score on the appropriate Washington educator skills endorsement test(s)
- Participating in an internship placement
- Completion of EDU 3942
- Senior standing (135 credits)
Students need to plan to pass the appropriate endorsement test(s) at least ONE quarter prior to registering for Integrated Quarter as passing scores must be received by SPU before students will be given permission to register for Integrated Quarter.
Integrated and Internship quarters must be taken sequentially in the same academic year (Winter-Spring), and a grade of B or better is required for Secondary Internship A and B.