Associate Professor of Chemistry
Office: Eaton 304
Education: BS, Seattle University, 2002; PhD, University of Washington, 2007. At SPU since 2008.
Professor Pierce teaches courses that include quantitative analysis, analytical instrumentation, general chemistry, science for nonmajors, and a seminar for intended majors with research methods. Professor Pierce’s research involves gas chromatography-mass spectrometry, liquid chromatography, spectrophotometry, and dynamic mobility spectrometry. Her research includes investigating complex samples for purposes such as determining chemical differences among complex samples, identifying and quantifying toxins in marine organisms, identifying and quantifying analytes in environmental samples, and developing applications for differential mobility spectrometry.
Book Chapters Authored
- DK Pinkerton, KM Pierce, RE Synovec. Series: Data Handling in Science and Technology. Volume 30: Resolving Spectral Mixtures. Chapter 10: Chemometric Resolution of Complex Higher Order Chromatographic Data with Spectral Detection, Ed. Cyril Ruckebusch, 2016, Elsevier, Oxford, ISBN-13: 978-0444636386.
- KM Pierce, BA Parsons, RE Synovec. Series: Data Handling in Science and Technology. Volume 29: Fundamentals and Analytical Applications of Multi-way Calibration. Chapter 10: Pixel-level data analysis methods for comprehensive two-dimensional chromatography, Ed. AC Olivieri, 2015, Elsevier, Oxford, ISBN-13: 9780-444635273.
- KM Pierce, JS Nadeau, RE Synovec. Handbook of Separation Science: Gas Chromatography Chapter 17: Data Analysis Methods, Ed. Colin F. Poole, 2012, Elsevier, Oxford, ISBN 9780123855404.
- 28. D Pasupuleti, GA Eiceman, KM Pierce. Talanta (2016) 155:278-288.
- 25. ML Strawn, ET Lunsford, LE Larsen, MM Moran, V Allbritton, RP Ferrer, KM Pierce. Journal of Environmental Analytical Chemistry (2015) Volume 2 Issue 4: 148-153. http://dx.doi.org/10.4172/jreac.1000148.
- 22. KM Pierce, JC Hoggard. Analytical Methods (2014) 6 (3): 645 – 653.
- 21. KM Pierce, B Kehimkar, L Marney, JC Hoggard, RE Synovec. Journal of Chromatography A (2012) 1255: 3–11.
- 19. Stephen P. Schale, Trang M. Le, KM Pierce. Talanta (2012) 94: 320–327.
Please view Dr. Pierce’s CV (PDF) for more information.