ProTeach Support Seminar
All Washington state teachers are required to obtain the Professional Certificate, the second-tier of certification, before the expiration of their residency certificate. As of September 2011, the Professional Certificate is no longer earned directly through a university program. Instead, teachers must successfully complete and pass the Washington ProTeach Portfolio Assessment in order to earn a Professional Certificate. SPU's School of Education offers the ProTeach Support Seminar specifically to help teachers like you prepare for the submission of the portfolio assessment.
Who Should Take the ProTeach Seminar
If you are currently teaching, hold a valid Residency Teacher Certificate, and desire assistance and feedback as you develop your portfolio for the Washington State ProTeach Portfolio Assessement, this 4-credit course is for you. SPU's ProTeach Support Seminar is designed solely for those who are looking for guidance in the preparation process.
To make a more informed decision before choosing a support seminar, we encourage you to preview the ProTeach website where you will find detailed information about the portfolio assessment and learn how and when to register for submission.
Seminar Components and Benefits
As a candidate in the ProTeach Support Seminar, you will:
- Receive personalized, strategically-paced guidance from a trained facilitator as you prepare your portfolio.
- Experience maximized peer support through a cohort approach.
- Enjoy the flexibility of a program that is offered through partner school districts and private schools in the region, as well as online.
- Learn from a quality program that is consistent with the SPU School of Education's mission and meets NCATE standards.
The Support Seminar is individualized and performance-based. Delivered on-site and online, it typically spans ten months to meet the June submission date. SPU's Center for Professional Education has numerous partner districts across Washington state.
- If you are interesteed in a site-based cohort, please review the list of our partner districts to see if a Support Seminar is offered in your district.
- Contact the designated district liaison to request specific information or express interest in joining a cohort.
- Register for SPU credit at your first cohort meeting (dates are partner-dependent).
- If your district is not listed or if you would like to inquire about the online cohort, please contact SPU's Center for Professional Certification at firstname.lastname@example.org or (800) 589-4038.
Cost for the site-based SPU ProTeach Support Seminars across Washington is approximately $125 per credit. Cost for the online SPU ProTeach Support Seminar is $200 per credit.
Do You Want to Pursue a Master’s Degree?
The credits earned in your ProTeach seminar can be used a electives in some Master’s programs.
Washington ProTeach Portfolio
Learn more about the Washington ProTeach Portfolio and how it is scored.