Seattle Pacific University’s 8th Annual Social Venture Plan Competition
Winter and Spring Quarters, 2014
- The Social Venture Plan Competition (SVPC) is a team event. Each team shall consist of not less than two and not more than six members. All team members must either be current SPU students or enrolled at a recognized partner school, local college or university (e.g. Youth Venture, University of Washington, Northwest University, etc.) Faculty or staff members of SPU or partner organizations are not eligible to be team members.
- Projects entering the competition are expected to be early stage social venture plans. Business plans for existing and operating ventures, projects that have had extensive development or projects that have raised substantial venture capital may be disqualified at the discretion of the SVPC leadership.
- Teams are encouraged but not required to attend a series of resource nights beginning Wednesday, January 15 and running through Wednesday, March 5, 2014. SPU students wishing to receive credit for their work should officially sign up for the resource nights by registering for the winter class BUS 3682 Social Venture Planning. However, intended SVPC participants may attend these sessions even if they are not registered for the course. 2014 Workshop Schedule.
- Teams intending to compete in the SVPC should submit an Intent to Participate form to the School of Business and Economics (SBE), McKenna Hall, second floor or electronically to the Center for Applied Learning (email@example.com) by February 11, 2014.
- Each team shall submit an electronic version of the written plan for their social venture (including financials) and a one-page executive summary (a separate file) to firstname.lastname@example.org as Word documents or PDF files. Other file formats may be allowed by exception. Each team will also submit an official signed Entry Form (hard copy, faxed or scanned) to SBE. The venture plan should follow the template laid out on the SVPC web-site or cover all of the same material. The written plan must be submitted no later than 5:00 p.m. on March 14, 2014. This is the official entry deadline for the SVPC.
- Each venture plan must include a description of the social need to be addressed as well as the means by which the project will address it.
- Each venture plan must include a revenue-generation mechanism. Venture plans that are purely donation-funded will not be considered.
- Each team will participate in a coaching event on Tuesday, April 8, 2014 from 6:00 to 7:30 p.m. Teams will be paired with community partners (social entrepreneurs, businesspeople, not-for-profit experts, etc.) for feedback specific to their plan and making their “pitch.”
- Each team will produce display materials and participate in the Showcase Round on Wednesday, April 16, 2014 from 2:00 to 6:00 p.m. in Weter Hall & Martin Square. Teams should plan to have enough members available to staff the event for the entire time. Having two or more team members present at all times is strongly encouraged, however no more than four members may work the event at any time.
The intent to participate form, official entry form and SVPC venture plan template are available on the SBE SVPC web site.
Questions? Contact the Center for Applied Learning, email@example.com or 206.281.2942.