CPE Social Media

Center for Professional Education FAQs

Do you have questions about the CPE programs in SPU’s School of Education, including its processes? Check here to find answers.

Professional Education FAQs

When I register for professional development courses through the Center for Professional Education in SPU's School of Education, am I registering for semester or quarter credits?
You are registering for quarter credits.

How are quarter credits equivalent to semester credits?

  • 5 quarter credits are equivalent to 3.33 semester credits.
  • 3 quarter credits are equivalent to 2 semester credits.
  • 1 quarter credit is equivalent to .67 semester credits.

If I take a class through an SPU "partner," will I still receive SPU graduate-level credit?
Yes. Make sure to follow all directions when registering with a partner because you may also need to register with SPU to receive that credit.

Are professional development courses graduate-level courses?
Yes. Professional development courses are 5000, graduate-level courses. However, they do not apply toward a degree unless it has been cleared and approved by your advisor. The purpose of these credits is for your continuing education and professional development.

Is there financial aid available?
Professional development courses are not eligible for financial aid, and they do not qualify for loan deferment. The full cost of the course is required at the time of registration. We accept check, purchase order, and VISA or MasterCard.

How can I get my transcript?

  • To view your unofficial transcript, log into Banner, SPU's student database, and select the Student Menu. You can access your account online by following the helpful tips you'll find there.
  • For an official transcript, visit the Student Academic Services website, and follow the step-by-step directions under "Ordering Transcripts." There is a $5 fee for each official transcript, payable at the time it is ordered.

I need a receipt for my course. How do I get one?
If you register online, a receipt will automatically be emailed to you. If you register in-person, at that time you may request a receipt be sent to you. If you registered by mail or phone and didn't request a receipt, email Student Financial Services (sfs@spu.edu) to request a receipt copy be sent to you.

What are the technology requirements to take a course through CPE?
All distance learning courses require access to a computer with a CD-ROM drive (PC or Mac), Internet connection and a personal email account.
Recommended minimum computer specifications include:

  • Processor - 2.0 Ghz Core2Duo or newer
  • RAM (memory) - 2 GB minimum, 4 GB recommended
  • Storage - 160 GB Hard Drive or larger
  • Operating System - Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium or Mac OS X 10.6 (10.5.8 minimum)

Updated SPU-recommended specifications can be found online at: https://wiki.spu.edu/display/HKB/Buy+a+Personal+Computer

Back to the top

Distance Learning FAQs

What should I expect from my Distance Learning Course?

The majority of Distance Learning courses are designed to be self-paced. Instructor feedback and communication varies from course to course. If your instructor has provided contact information, please utilize that for your course questions and clarifications throughout the duration of your course. If you are taking a course through one of our Educational Partners, they can offer technical and procedural support.

Are the courses online or on campus?

The courses are all correspondence courses, which can include printed materials received via U.S. post, online, or video modules. Some courses take place on Blackboard, SPU's e-learning web portal, and have specific begin and end dates.

If I take a class through an SPU "partner," will I still receive SPU graduate-level credit?

Yes. Make sure to follow all directions when registering with an educational partner because you may also need to register with SPU to receive graduate-level credit.

How long will it take me to complete a professional development course?

You can expect it to take about 20 hours per credit. The courses are designed for you to work at your own pace, but check the course details for due dates and completion time.

What does "up to one year" mean in a course description?

For courses that list completion time of "up to one year," you will have 365 days from your course start date to complete the course.

Do I get regular feedback on my assignments?

This varies from course to course as not all Distance Learning courses are facilitated. Make sure to read the course study guide first to understand if the course is facilitated, if you can expect communication during the course, and if the coursework is submitted in segments (with feedback) or if coursework is submitted entirely at the end of the course in which you will only receive feedback upon request.

Are there any additional costs for a course besides tuition?

Additional materials vary from course to course. The course materials you receive will include directions if you need to purchase anything additional.

How do I register for a course? Are there any registration fees?
You can register in several ways:

  • By calling 800-482-3848.
  • By downloading, printing, and mailing in a registration form (PDF).
  • By using the registration form found in our printed course bulletin and mailing it in.
  • By registering online.

There are no fees to register.

When will my grades be sent to me?

The fastest and most efficient way to receive your grades is to order a transcript (a free unofficial copy or $5 for an official copy), or view your completed grades in your Online Student Account.

How fast can I expect my grades to be posted?

Please allow up to six (6) weeks from the time you submit your final coursework for the final grade to be posted to your transcript. Please plan your time accordingly!

Back to the top

An Advocate for Children

Find Available Courses

Looking for an online course, a distance learning course, or a course on site near you? Explore your choices and options.


Do You Want to Earn a Master's Degree?

Whether you want to enhance your knowledge as a teacher, counselor, or administrator, SPU has a Master of Education program for you.