Admission Information: Alternative Routes to Certification
Applicants will have at least a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university. New cohorts are admitted each March. The program begins Summer Session.
Applicants must submit the following items to the Graduate Center:
- Application and $50 application processing fee
- Official transcript(s) from each college/university attended
- If your degree is not from a U.S. college or university, please arrange for your transcript to be evaluated by an accredited transcript evaluation company such as WES. Have the report forwarded directly to the Graduate Center.
- Personal statement (1–2 pages)
- GRE (Graduate Record Exam) or MAT (Miller Analogies Test) scores taken within five years of application
- On the former GRE exam, preferred minimum combined Verbal and Quantitative score of 950
- On the revised GRE exam, preferred minimum scores of Verbal: 148 and Quantitative: 147
- On the MAT, preferred minimum scaled score of 400*
- Two to four letters of recommendation
- Passing WEST-B scores including 240 on each subtest: reading, writing, and mathematics
- Applicants may use a combination of SAT, ACT, and WEST-B scores to meet the WEST-B requirement (reading writing, mathematics). Please contact the Graduate Center if you have questions.
- Minimum SAT scores required - Math: 515, Reading: 500, Writing: 490
- Minimum ACT scores required - Math: 22, Reading: 22, Writing: 8
- Passing State Endorsement Test
- Those endorsing in designated world languages or bilingual education must also pass oral and writing proficiency tests (OPI and WPT) in their language area.
- Several NES study guides are located on the main floor Reference section of the SPU library
- Endorsement Verification form
- Endorsements are the content and grade levels a teacher is prepared to teach. The Professional Education Standards Board (PESB) provides a comprehensive list of all endorsements offered at SPU.
- If your college major matches your intended endorsement, complete the Endorsement Verification form in the application.
- If your major does not match your intended endorsement, please contact Jessica Bosley, Certification Officer. Complete the Endorsement Verification form only after contacting Jessica Bosley. On the form, indicate that you have been in contact with her and list your “Approved Plan of Study” if one has been developed.
- Moral Character and Personal Fitness Policy form (found in the online application)
*The GRE or MAT will be waived for students who achieved at least (a) a 3.0 cumulative undergraduate GPA or (b) a 3.0 in the last 45 quarter credits.
Applicants with complete files submitted by the deadline are screened for interviews, held on the SPU campus in March. Invitations to interview are sent by email. Applicants are advised to add these email addresses as contacts to avoid inadvertent delivery of correspondence to spam or junk folders.
Find information about this Program Overview, Program Outline, Course Sequence, and Admission Information.
Your source for information on all SPU graduate programs, as well as admissions and events.
2016 ARC and MTMS Program Interviews
ARC and MTMS program interviews are scheduled for March 19, 2016, on the SPU campus. Candidates who pass the initial application review process will be invited to the interviews via the email address provided on the application.