Admission Information: Doctor of Philosophy
in Education (PhD)
A limited number of students are admitted to SPU’s PhD program each year. Applicants must hold a master’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university.
Applicants must submit the following items to Graduate Admissions:
- Application and $50 application processing fee.
- Official transcripts documenting excellent undergraduate and graduate GPAs from an accredited institution where an academic degree was conferred. Include post-master’s degree graduate coursework.
- Note, to be considered official, transcripts must be received in a sealed envelope from the college or university. Transcripts may be delivered to Graduate Admissions as long as they remain in their original, unopened university envelope. Electronic transcripts received via eSCRIP-SAFE or Parchment Exchange are also acceptable.
- If your degree is not from a US college or university, please arrange for your transcript to be evaluated by an accredited transcript-evaluation company, such as FIS or WES. Have the report forwarded directly to Graduate Admissions.
- Personal statement expressing your professional plans, goals, and focus of study, as well as a rationale for pursuing a PhD in Education. This should be no more than 500 words.
- GRE (Graduate Record Exam) scores taken within five years of application.
- Preferred minimum scores of 153 in Verbal Reasoning and 152 in Quantitative Reasoning.
- Four recent letters of recommendation, including two academic and two professional recommendations.
- Writing sample that demonstrates graduate-level writing skills.
- Résumé documenting a minimum of three years of successful professional experience in an educational setting (P–12, higher education, or other related setting).
Following the submission of all of these items, your file will be reviewed by the core graduate faculty. You will be contacted regarding the status of your application, and to schedule an interview, within approximately two weeks.
All correspondence regarding the interview process will be carried out by email using the address you provide in the application. Please set your email filters accordingly.
Autumn Quarter: August 15
Winter Quarter: November 15
Spring Quarter: February 15
Summer Session: May 15
Application and Admissions Questions
Contact Graduate Admissions at 800-601-0603 or email@example.com.
Find information about this Program Overview, Program Outline, Suggested Course Sequence, and Admission Information.
Your source for information on all SPU graduate programs, as well as admissions and events.
Did You Know?
You can now earn your EdD and Superintendent Certification at SPU in just three years — instead of the typical four to five years. The new program combines best leadership practices with effective use of educational policy and research.