Admission Information: Doctor of Philosophy
in Education (PhD)
A limited number of students are admitted to SPU’s PhD program each year. Applicants must hold a master’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university.
Applicants must submit the following items to the Graduate Admissions.
- Application and $50 application processing fee.
- Official transcripts documenting excellent undergraduate and graduate GPAs from an accredited institution where an academic degree was conferred. Include post-master’s degree graduate coursework.
- If your degree is not from a U.S. college or university, please arrange for your transcript to be evaluated by an accredited transcript evaluation company such as FIS or WES. Have the report forwarded directly to Graduate Admissions.
- Personal statement expressing your professional plans, goals, and focus of study, as well as a rationale for pursuing a PhD in Education. No more than 500 words.
- GRE (Graduate Record Exam) scores taken within five years of application.
- On the former GRE exam, preferred minimum combined score of 1200
- On the revised GRE exam, preferred minimum scores of Verbal Reasoning: 153 and Quantitative Reasoning: 152
- Four recent letters of recommendation, including two academic and two professional recommendations.
- Writing sample that demonstrates graduate-level writing skills.
- Résumé documenting a minimum of three years of successful professional experience in an educational setting (P-12, higher education, or other related setting).
Following the submission of all of these items, your file will be reviewed by the core graduate faculty. You will be contacted regarding the status of your application, and to schedule an interview, within approximately two weeks.
All correspondence regarding the interview process will be carried out by email using the address you provide in the application. Please set your email filters accordingly.
Autumn Quarter: August 15
Winter Quarter: November 15
Spring Quarter: February 15
Summer Session: May 15
Application and Admissions Questions
Contact the Graduate Center at 800-601-0603 or email@example.com.
Find information about this Program Overview, Program Outline, Suggested Course Sequence, and Admission Information.
Your source for information on all SPU graduate programs, as well as admissions and events.
Did You Know?
You can now earn your EdD and Superintendent Certification at SPU in just three years — instead of the typical four to five years. The new program combines best leadership practices with effective use of educational policy and research.