A limited number of students are admitted to SPU’s MEd in Literacy degree program each year. Applicants will have at least a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university and a teaching certificate. (A teaching certificate is not required if you are pursuing the MEd in Literacy With Teacher Certification option.)
Applicants must submit the following items to Graduate Admissions:
- Application and $50 application processing fee.
- Copy of current Washington state teaching certificate (not required for Literacy + Certification applicants).
- Official transcript documenting bachelor's degree (including official transcripts from all colleges/universities attended).
- Note, to be considered official, transcripts must be received in a sealed envelope from the college or university. Transcripts may be delivered to Graduate Admissions as long as they remain in their original, unopened university envelope. Electronic transcripts received via eSCRIP-SAFE or Parchment Exchange are also acceptable.
- Personal statement (1–2 pages).
- Present a GPA of at least 3.0 (4.0 = A) in the last 45 quarter credits of coursework completed.*
- Two letters of recommendation.
- Moral and Character Fitness Policy form (found in the online application) for those seeking teaching certification.
*The GRE (Graduate Record Exam) or MAT (Miller Analogies Test) will be required if GPA is less than 3.0. On the GRE, preferred minimum scores of Verbal: 148 and Quantitative: 147. On the MAT, preferred minimum scaled score of 400.
Application Deadlines for MEd in Literacy
Autumn Quarter: August 15
Winter Quarter: November 15
Spring Quarter: February 15
Summer Session: May 15
Application Deadline for MEd in Literacy With Teacher Certification
Application and Admissions Questions
Contact Graduate Admissions at 800-601-0603 or email@example.com.