Admission Information: Master of Education (MEd)
A limited number of students are admitted to SPU’s MEd in Literacy degree program each year. Applicants will have at least a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university and a teaching certificate. (A teaching certificate is not required if you are pursuing the MEd in Literacy With Teacher Certification option.)
Applicants must submit the following items to the Graduate Center:
- Application and $50 application processing fee.
- Copy of current Washington state teaching certificate, front and back (not required for Literacy + Certification applicants).
- Official transcript(s) from each college/university attended.
- Personal statement (1–2 pages).
- GRE (Graduate Record Exam) or MAT (Miller Analogies Test) scores taken within five years of application.
- On the former GRE exam, preferred minimum combined Verbal and Quantitative score of 950
- On the revised GRE exam, preferred minimum scores of Verbal: 148 and Quantitative: 147
- On the MAT, preferred minimum scaled score of 400*
- Two letters of recommendation.
- Moral and Character Fitness Policy form (found in the online application) for those seeking teaching certification.
*The GRE or MAT will be waived for students who achieved at least (a) a 3.4 cumulative undergraduate GPA, or (b) a 3.4 GPA in the last 45 quarter credits.
Application Deadlines for MEd in Literacy
Autumn Quarter: August 15
Winter Quarter: November 15
Spring Quarter: February 15
Summer Session: May 15
Application Deadline for MEd in Literacy With Teacher Certification
Find information about this Program Overview, Program Outline, Suggested Course Sequence, and Admission Information.
Your source for information on all SPU graduate programs, as well as graduate admissions and events.