Admission Information: Master of Education (MEd)
A limited number of students are admitted to SPU’s MEd in Literacy degree program each year. Applicants will have at least a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university and a teaching certificate. (A teaching certificate is not required if you are pursuing the MEd in Literacy With Teacher Certification option.)
Applicants must submit the following items to the Graduate Center:
- Application and $50 application processing fee.
- Copy of current Washington state teaching certificate, front and back (not required for Literacy + Certification applicants).
- Official transcript(s) from each college/university attended.
- Personal statement (1–2 pages).
- GRE (Graduate Record Exam) or MAT (Miller Analogies Test) scores taken within five years of application.
- On the former GRE exam, preferred minimum combined Verbal and Quantitative score of 950
- On the revised GRE exam, preferred minimum scores of Verbal: 148 and Quantitative: 147
- On the MAT, preferred minimum scaled score of 400*
- Two letters of recommendation.
- Moral and Character Fitness Policy form (found in the online application) for those seeking teaching certification.
*The GRE or MAT will be waived for students who achieved at least (a) a 3.4 cumulative undergraduate GPA, or (b) a 3.4 GPA in the last 45 quarter credits.
Application Deadlines for MEd in Literacy
Autumn Quarter: August 15
Winter Quarter: November 15
Spring Quarter: February 15
Summer Session: May 15
Application Deadline for MEd in Literacy With Teacher Certification
Application and Admissions Questions
Contact Graduate Admissions at 800-601-0603 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your source for information on all SPU graduate programs, as well as admissions and events.