Admission Information: Master in Teaching
Mathematics and Science
Applicants will have at least a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university. New cohorts are admitted each March. The program begins Summer Session.
Applicants must submit the following items to Graduate Admissions:
- Application and $50 application processing fee.
- Official transcript documenting bachelor's degree (including official transcripts from all colleges/universities attended).
- Note, to be considered official, transcripts must be received in a sealed envelope from the college or university. Transcripts may be delivered to Graduate Admissions as long as they remain in their original, unopened university envelope. Electronic transcripts received via eSCRIP-SAFE or Parchment Exchange are also acceptable.
- If your degree is not from a US college or university, please arrange for your transcript to be evaluated by an accredited transcript-evaluation company, such as FIS or WES. Have the report forwarded directly to Graduate Admissions.
- Personal statement (1–2 pages).
- GRE (Graduate Record Exam) or MAT (Miller Analogies Test) scores taken within five years of application.
- On the GRE, preferred minimum scores of 148 in Verbal and 147 in Quantitative.
- On the MAT, preferred minimum scaled score of 400.*
- Two to four letters of recommendation.
- Passing WEST-B scores, including 240 on each subtest (reading, writing, and mathematics).
- Applicants may use a combination of SAT, ACT, and WEST-B scores to meet the WEST-B requirement (reading writing, mathematics). Please contact Graduate Admissions if you have questions.
- Minimum SAT scores required — Math: 515, Reading: 500, Writing: 490.
- Minimum ACT scores required — Math: 22, Reading: 22, Writing: 8.
- Passing State Endorsement Test.
- Endorsement Verification form.
- Endorsements are the content and grade levels a teacher is prepared to teach. The Professional Education Standards Board (PESB) provides a comprehensive list of all endorsements offered at SPU.
- If your college major matches your intended endorsement, complete the Endorsement Verification form in the application.
- If your major does not match your intended endorsement, please contact Jessica Bosley, Certification Officer. Complete the Endorsement Verification form only after contacting Jessica Bosley. On the form, indicate that you have been in contact with her and list your “Approved Plan of Study” if one has been developed.
- Moral and Professional Character Policy form (found in the online application).
*The GRE or MAT will be waived for students who achieved at least (a) a 3.0 cumulative undergraduate GPA or (b) a 3.0 in the last 45 quarter credits.
Applicants with complete files submitted by the deadline are screened for interviews held on the SPU campus in March. Invitations to interview are sent by email. Applicants are advised to add these email addresses as contacts to avoid inadvertent delivery of correspondence to spam or junk folders.
Find information about this Program Overview, Program Outline, Course Sequence, and Admission Information.
Your source for information on all SPU graduate programs, as well as admissions and events.
Did You Know?
SPU also offers a two-year, part-time MAT program to earn teacher certification and a master’s degree concurrently.