The context for teachers has changed in the past 10 to 15 years, not only in Washington state, but also in the United States and beyond. Building on the foundation of the previous Curriculum and Instruction program, the Master of Education in Teacher Leadership program leverages current scholarship and the latest teacher leadership standards to help you analyze and improve instructional techniques in both the classroom and the whole school.
Who Should Pursue This Degree
This program will equip you to assume a variety of roles in education: from early career mentor or instructional coach to department chair, staff development leader, assessment coordinator, and curriculum coordinator.
Graduates are eligible for admission into the Principal Certification or Program Administrator Certification programs and will carry forward educational administration credits toward these certification programs.
A master's degree qualifies you for salary increases and provides a sizeable financial advantage over the course of a long-term teaching career. But of course you have many more reasons to consider this program:
- Building your career. The Teacher Leadership program offers up-to-date educational theory, research, and professional practices. Curriculum is aligned with standards-based competencies outlined by the ProTeach Certificate (Professional Educator Standards Board) and linked to the Interstate School Leaders Licensure Consortium (ISLLC) standards.
- Advanced leadership preparation. Upon graduation, you will have completed three of the seven classes required for Principal or Program Administrator Certification. The remaining four courses, plus a 9-credit internship, can be completed within one calendar year.
- Flexible, hybrid delivery. The program combines online courses and face-to-face classes on campus. The online program's user-friendly system enables you to interact with students and faculty through discussions, group work, and individual assignments. Six elective credits are also included, allowing you to focus on areas of special interest.
- Fully online option. The program now offers a fully online option with twelve credits of electives in an area of the student's interest.
- Cohort advantages. Students are grouped into cohorts, which offer small classes, personalized instruction, and a sense of community.
- Distinguished faculty. Courses are typically taught by full-time faculty with doctorates and extensive work experience in K–12 education. As leaders in their field, they regularly conduct research in classroom and school settings, make presentations at professional conferences, serve as consultants or on boards and state committees, lead various professional organizations, and regularly publish journal articles and books.
- Fully accredited. SPU holds the highest accreditations for its School of Education, including CEAP (The Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation), WSBOE (Washington State Board of Education), and NWCCU (Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities).
- Affordable. Tuition is comparable to other area institutions, and financial aid is available through a federally insured student loan program. A limited number of non-teaching graduate assistantships are also available.
- District partnership discounts. SPU is actively building partnerships with local school districts for delivery of the Teacher Leadership program at the district level. Upon partnership approval, reduced tuition will be offered for a district cohort with a minimum of 10 admitted candidates. To inquire about a Teacher Leadership cohort for your district, contact Robin Henrikson at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The program outline includes a description of program components. Official degree requirements for this graduate program are stated in the SPU Graduate Catalog in effect when you are accepted into this program.
The official admissions requirements for this graduate program are stated in the SPU Graduate Catalog in effect when you apply to this program. Or learn more about admission requirements and procedures online.