Program Outline: Master of Education (MEd) in Teacher Leadership
You can complete this degree in two years. In addition to required coursework, you will also need to create a portfolio and pass a comprehensive examination.
Foundations and Research (12 credits)
- EDU 6085 Moral Issues in Education (3)
- EDU 6600 Communication and Collaboration (3)
- EDU 6979 Action Research in School Settings (3)
- EDU 6980 Applying Research in School Settings (3)
Teacher Leadership Focus (15 credits)
- EDU 6528 Accomplished Teaching (3)
- EDU 6525 Culturally Responsive Teaching (3)
- EDAD 6580 Leadership in Education (3)
- EDAD 6589 Engaging Communities (3)
- EDU 6990 Teacher Leadership Capstone (3)
Curriculum, Instruction, and Assessment Focus (12 credits)
- EDU 6524 Curriculum Design (3)
- EDU 6526 Survey of Instructional Strategies (3)
- EDU 6613 Standards-Based Assessment (3)
- EDTC 6433 Teaching with Technology (3)
Elective options (6 credits)
- EDU 6120 American Education: Past and Present (3)
- Any 6000-level EDAD course (3)
- Any 6000-level EDRD course (3)
- Any 6000-level EDSP course (3)
- Any 6000-level EDTC course (3)
- Washington State ProTeach Certification (4 credits through CPE)
Total required credits for degree: 45
Comprehensive Exam and Electronic Portfolio
Students will take a comprehensive exam to complete the Teacher Leadership program. The comprehensive exam includes three randomly selected questions from the twelve program standards. In addition, students will put together an electronic portfolio including artifacts which are aligned to each of the 12 Teacher Leadership standards. Both the comprehensive exam and the portfolio are evaluated based on coverage of content, examples and illustrations, reference to authorities and research, organization of responses, logic and coherence, and vocabulary and expression.
Find information about this Program Overview, Program Outline, and Admission Information.
Open House for MEd in Teacher Leadership + ProTeach
With a Master of Education in Teacher Leadership from SPU, you will become equipped for new roles in education, qualified for a higher salary, and certified with the ProTeach assessment. Learn more at the upcoming open house in your school district.
Coming to a City Near You
SPU’s School of Education is now accepting applications to MEd in Teacher Leadership cohorts in the Lake Washington School District, Issaquah School District, and Olympic Educational Service District 114, with more locations to come. To learn more, contact Robin Henrikson at email@example.com or