Whether you’re in the midst of your undergraduate or graduate nursing studies, or working on prerequisites so you can apply for the BSN program, SPU offers many opportunities to connect with current and future nurses and nursing faculty.
The School of Health Sciences hosts numerous events to help you connect, engage, and flourish during your time as an undergraduate or graduate nursing student, and even after you graduate. We hope you’ll be able to join us for some of these activities and celebrations.
Clubs and Committees
- Nursing Cadre: An SPU small group that explores the relationship between faith and vocation, and examines implications for patients and nurses. Meets monthly on the second and fourth Thursdays. For questions, contact Professor Carol McFarland.
- Men in Nursing lunches: A monthly meeting for men in the nursing program to connect and share their experiences over a meal. Discussion may be led by faculty or alumni; lunch is provided. Contact Julie Ann Harrington for details.
- NAPS (Nursing and Pre-Nursing Student Club): A social and educational forum for pre-nursing and nursing students, sponsored by ASSP. Contact Julie Ann Harrington about meeting times.
- Cultural Safety: A group focused on the integration of cultural concepts into health care to create a culturally safe environment. Contact Professor Bethany Rolfe Witham for more information.
- Committee and leadership opportunities: Students are invited to participate in nursing program committees that oversee areas such as admissions, curriculum, and student affairs (with cultural safety). Additional leadership positions are filled by undergraduate nursing students as program ambassadors, co-presidents, and ASSP senators. Contact Linda Meerdink (undergraduate students) or Katie Bennett (graduate students) for details.
Students in a graduate nursing program at SPU subscribe to a service provided by Typhon Group, LLC during their internship experience. Typhon functions as a complete electronic student tracking system, including patient encounter logs, evaluations for assessment, student rotation scheduling, student, preceptor, and clinical site databases.
Login to the NPST Typhon System as a Student. Contact Katie Bennett for details.
SHS Scholarships and Aid:
Other SPU Resources: