How do I find an internship?
Finding an internship requires more than just searching an online job board. Start the process early and apply yourself in order to have an internship experience that will be rewarding and perhaps even launch your career!
- Self-Reflect. What is your calling, and what direction do you want to take with your career journey? What skills do you want to develop? What causes do you want to serve? Use the following tools to assist you:
- Prepare. Create, edit, and assemble your:
- Research/Search. Learn what opportunities exist* and what organizations you are most interested in via:
*Don’t limit yourself to looking only for companies with a structured internship program. Find an organization you are interested in, and schedule an informational interview. Ask whether they have a need for a volunteer or temporary assistance with a project, and then ask your faculty sponsor to help you structure the experience to receive academic credit.
- Start early — it can take several months to find an internship and get hired.
- Organize and track your contacts, communications, and followup plans.
- Ask for help if needed — from faculty, mentors, friends and family, and the CCC.
How do I Register for Internship Credit?
Once you have secured an internship, register for credit through the Handshake Student/Alumni module. IMPORTANT NOTE: Business and Psychology internships are not registered through Handshake. Refer to the internship page on those departments' website - Business internships, Psychology internships.
- Begin looking for an internship at least five weeks before the quarter in which you wish to do your internship.
- Meet with your faculty advisor to discuss specific requirements for an internship in your major, and the suitability of the positions or organizations you may already have identified.
- Find a faculty sponsor who will work with you to identify the learning objectives, and approve and grade your internship. (This can be your faculty advisor or another faculty member in the major of your internship.)
- After you find your internship but before you register for credit, you will need to meet with your faculty sponsor to:
- Define learning objectives — specific skills to be developed, knowledge to be gained
- Identify learning activities that support the learning objectives
- Determine how learning objectives and activities will be verified for course grade evaluation, such as papers, portfolios, and/or presentations
- Decide on the number of academic credits you will receive based on the hours and length of your internship
- Use the Internship Learning Form Worksheet to assemble the information required for registration. (The online registration process allows only a limited amount of time for completion and does not have a “save” feature.) IMPORTANT NOTE: If you are registering for a Business internship, skip this step and refer to the SBGE internship page for specific instructions. If you are registering for a Psychology internship, skip this step and refer to the Psychology internship page.
- Initiate the registration process by logging into Handshake and clicking on the “Career Center” at the top of the page. Then click on the "Experiences" in the drop down and then click on "Request an Experience." Complete the form with the information you collected on the worksheet and submit.
- After your online form has been submitted, a staff member in the Center for Career and Calling will initiate the approval process. Approvals take place sequentially - first your faculty sponsor, then your site supervisor, and finally SAS will approve and register you for credit.
- Make sure your approvals are completed on time. You can view your internship on SPU Handshake by returning to the "Career Center" tab and clicking on "Experiences." You will be able to see who has approved and who is still pending. If your faculty sponsor or site supervisor are still pending as the 10th day of the quarter approaches, be sure to remind them to check their email and complete their approvals. Do not wait until the last minute!