New Student FAQ

When will I receive my housing assignment?

Your room assignment and roommate information is emailed July 16, provided we receive your Housing Application, $300 room deposit, and $200 advance payment by June 1. If your application, deposit, and advance payment are received between June 2 and August 15, you will receive your assignment August 31. Applications, deposits, and advance payments received after August 15 will be processed as space permits. Check out How to Apply for more information. 

How do you make room assignments?

Room and roommate assignments are made based on the preferences you provide on your Housing Application. See Room Assignments and Roommate Matching for more information.

What is the chance of getting into my preferred building?

The popularity of certain buildings varies from year to year. Your chance of getting into your preferred building is dependent on the number of available spaces and how many other students have requested it. See Room Assignments for more information.

When can I move in?

Autumn Quarter 2018
Date: Wednesday, September 19
Arrival times are dependent on last name:

  • A–G: 1 p.m.
  • H–P: 1:45 p.m.
  • Q–Z: 2:30 p.m.

Check-in ends at 6:30 p.m.

Winter Quarter 2019
Date: Wednesday, January 2
Time: 1–4 p.m.

Spring Quarter 2019
Date: Sunday, March 24
Time: 1–4 p.m.

Staff will be unavailable outside of these times, so please plan your arrival accordingly. If you arrive earlier than the scheduled check-in day, you should find arrangements off campus. Details about where to check in will be included with your assignment.

May I see my room before I move in?

Residence halls are used for conferences during the summer and are closed during Christmas and Spring breaks; therefore, rooms are not available for viewing. You can, however, see room layouts on the residence halls’ individual pages.

What can I bring with me?

We want you to be comfortable in your new home, but you may want to prioritize what you’ll really need; space will be limited.

You may want to contact your roommate(s) to decide who will bring which items. A list of suggested items is available on the What-to-Bring Checklist (PDF).

What furniture is provided?

All students are provided with an extra-long twin bed, dresser, desk, and chair. Apartment residents are also provided with living room and dining room furniture. Furniture may be reconfigured, but it may not be removed from the room.

What laundry facilities are available?

The residence halls have washers and dryers that accept coins and Falcon Funds from your Sea Pac Pass. Campus-apartment residents have access to coin-operated laundry facilities in their building or in a building nearby. The Wesley Apartments have in-unit laundry (no coins needed).

What about housing and food service during holiday breaks?

Residence halls close during Christmas and Spring breaks. Residents must vacate the hall, but may leave personal property in their rooms. Students occupying the campus apartments may remain on campus during breaks. Food service is not available in Gwinn Commons during Thanksgiving, Christmas or Spring breaks.

Residence halls close on the following schedule:

  • Autumn 2018: Friday, December 7, 10 a.m.
  • Winter 2019: Saturday, March 16, 10 a.m.
  • Spring 2019: Friday, June 7, 4 p.m.

Is my room deposit refundable?

A refund of your $300 room deposit is available if you cancel your housing application by June 1 for Autumn Quarter, December 7 for Winter Quarter, or March 16 for Spring Quarter.

Once you move into your room, your deposit will remain on your student account until you withdraw from housing. At that time, the deposit will be refunded if you have completed your contract obligations, met withdrawal deadlines, and did not damage your room.

May I have a car on campus?

Parking spaces are available to on-campus residents at a quarterly rate. You may park your car on the street, but SPU is located in a residential area and those spaces are very limited.

For residents whose lots have reached maximum capacity, SPU offers commuter parking as a secondary option.

What should I know about connecting to the Internet?

Wireless network access is available throughout residence halls, campus apartments, and study/meeting areas. Contact Computer and Information Systems for complete information about getting connected to the internet.

What’s my mailing address?

Residence hall students are assigned a mailstop (the term used for your mailbox). Mailboxes are located outside the Student Union Building. Campus apartment residents either receive a mailstop or, for specific buildings, have mail delivered directly to a mailbox at their residence.

If you receive your housing assignment by August 31, Mailing Services will provide mailing information to you by September 15. If you receive your assignment after August 31, Mailing Services will provide mailing information within two weeks. For more information, explore Mailing and Copying Services Students and Parents page.

What’s the Residential Living Requirement?

For the 2018–19 academic year, students are required to live on campus unless they are 20 years or older prior to the first day of class for the quarter for which they are applying; they live at home with parent(s), legal guardian(s), spouse, or dependent children; they are a graduate student; or they are enrolled for 8 or fewer credits.

Students who are not eligible to live off campus, but believe they have extenuating circumstances that warrant special consideration, may petition Residence Life ( for an exemption. Approval is granted only for exceptional need or hardship. Students living off campus without approval will not be permitted to register until they are in compliance.