Graduate Housing FAQ

How long will I remain on the waiting list?

Graduate housing is very limited. Students typically remain on the waiting list from six months to one year, depending on demand and the quarter for which they are applying.

Is the deposit refundable?

The $100 deposit is refundable until you sign a lease. At that time, you will be required to submit an additional $200 deposit (for a total of $300). After vacating your unit, charges will be assessed for any damages and the remaining balance will be refunded, provided your account is paid in full.

Who can live with me?

Occupancy is limited to individual graduate students and non-traditional aged learners (25 years and older) who are enrolled and registered at SPU. Units are not co-ed.

Do I need to attend full time?

You must be registered at SPU for a minimum of nine undergraduate or six graduate credits each quarter of residency, excluding summer.

Are pets allowed?

No pets, except fish (25-gallon tank maximum), may be on your property.

Are laundry facilities available?

Yes, residents have access to coin-operated laundry facilities in their building.

What types of units are available? Where are they located?

The inventory consists of older Queen Anne houses located on campus or within walking distance. Houses range from three to four bedrooms. Students will have a single occupancy bedroom and share common areas, including a bathroom and kitchen.

Are units furnished?

Yes, all residents are provided with an extra-long twin bed, dresser, desk, and chair. Each unit also includes living room and dining room furniture.

What utilities are included?

Electricity, gas, water, sewer, cable, and garbage collection services are included in the rent charge. Your financial commitment will not increase during times of transition where one roommate is moving out and another is moving in.

May I view the units?

When a room within a unit becomes vacant, we will contact the first eligible student on the waiting list to schedule a time to tour the unit.

Questions about housing or meal plans?

Send questions or comments to or call 206-281-2188.