Resident advisors (RAs) are student leaders who live on every floor in SPU residence halls and in campus apartments. Important members of a residence hall or apartment, RAs demonstrate a diverse set of skills, including sensitivity, self-discipline, and integrity.
- About 50 SPU resident advisors are chosen during Spring Quarter each year.
- RAs receive a scholarship equal to the cost of their room and board.
- RAs living in residence halls reside in designated rooms but do not have roommates. The RAs who live in SPU apartments can have a roommate, but it’s not required.
Ongoing support and training
- After being chosen during Spring Quarter, RAs engage in two training workshops during Spring Quarter.
- In the fall, RAs arrive on campus for training during the first week of September.
- RAs engage in the bulk of their training in September, prior to the opening of the academic year.
- After September, RAs participate in an autumn training class.
- RAs meet weekly with their building/area staff team.
- They also meet regularly for one-on-one supervision and support with their supervising residence life coordinator or area coordinator.
Applying to become an RA
To be considered for the RA position, you must:
- Have a commitment to Christian faith and values.
- Have at least a 2.7 cumulative GPA.
- Be a full-time student (at least 12 credits per quarter) and plan to be enrolled for the entire 2017–18 academic year.
- Participate in RA training without any other outside commitments during that time. (Dates posted soon).
- Have a complete file, including a completed Resident Advisor application, a signed Student Waiver form, and the three required RA references.
Additional preferred qualifications
Junior or senior status at the time of employment.
- Experience with SPU residential living — either having lived on campus, or having experience on campus and with other residential activities.
To apply to be a resident advisor, fill out and return this RA application on OrgSync by 5 p.m., February 6, 2017.
Next information session
January 26, 2017
Emerson Lobby, 7–8 p.m.
Contact email@example.com for more information.