Resident advisors (RAs) are student leaders who live on every floor in SPU residence halls and in campus apartments. Important members of a residence hall or apartment, RAs demonstrate a diverse set of skills, including sensitivity, self-discipline, and integrity.
- About 50 SPU resident advisors are chosen during Spring Quarter each year.
- RAs receive a scholarship equal to the cost of their room and board.
- RAs living in residence halls reside in designated rooms but do not have roommates. The RAs who live in SPU apartments can have a roommate, but it’s not required.
Check out this video highlighting a few of the small, meaningful moments in the lives of our SPU RAs
Ongoing support and training
- After being chosen during Spring Quarter, RAs engage in two training workshops during Spring Quarter.
- In the fall, RAs arrive on campus for training during the first week of September.
- RAs engage in the bulk of their training in September, prior to the opening of the academic year.
- After September, RAs participate in an autumn training class.
- RAs meet weekly with their building/area staff team.
- They also meet regularly for one-on-one supervision and support with their supervising residence life coordinator or area coordinator.
Applying to become an RA
To be considered for the RA position, you must:
- Have a commitment to Christian faith and values.
- Have at least a 2.7 cumulative GPA.
- Be a full-time student (at least 12 credits per quarter) and plan to be enrolled for the entire 2018–19 academic year.
- Participate in RA training without any other outside commitments during that time. RA Training will be September 4 - September 23, 2018.
- Have a complete file, including a completed Resident Advisor application, a signed Student Waiver form, and the three required RA references.
Additional preferred qualifications
Junior or senior status at the time of employment.
- Experience with SPU residential living — either having lived on campus, or having experience on campus and with other residential activities.
To apply to be a resident advisor, fill out and return the RA application on OrgSync by 5 p.m., January 17, 2018. Click here to be directed to the RA application on OrgSync.
Next information session:
Want to learn more about what it means to be an RA? Come to this session to hear more and get your questions answered!
January 10, 2018
Hill Hall Lobby, 7–8 p.m.
Contact BeAnRA@spu.edu for more information.