About the program
The School Executive Leadership program is intended for those who wish to prepare to become educational leaders outside the superintendency. Distinct from the Superintendent Certification program, this program is designed for both certificated and non-certificated educational leaders.
The first option provides professional development opportunities within a specialized area for certificated candidates. The second option provides non-certificated students or those who hold either current teacher or ESA certification who currently serve in a district level position with an opportunity to receive a program administrator certificate by completing this program.
Option 1: Executive Leadership With Specialization
You will complete the same core coursework as for the superintendent certificate, but will replace the field experience with electives in a chosen specialization and/or an applied field study in that area of specialization. All coursework is completed over a two-year period.
Areas of Specialization for Executive Leaders
- Teaching and Learning (Curriculum and Instruction)
- Finance and Business
- Human Relations Administration
- Special Education
- Support Programs (Remediation, ELL, etc.)
Option 2: Executive Leadership With Program Administration Certification
Non-certified candidates who currently serve in a district level position, or those currently certified as teachers or as educational staff associates, complete the same core coursework as for the superintendent certification, but receive program administrator certification. All coursework is completed over a two-year period.
The Executive Leadership program with program administrator certification requires at least 360 hours of field experience. The number of required credits (minimum of 6) is dependent on your experience and desired position.
Applicants must submit the following items to the Graduate Admissions:
- Application and $50 application processing fee.
- Copy of current teaching certificate, front and back.
- Copy of current administrator's certificate, front and back.
- Official transcript(s) from each college/university attended.
- Personal statement (1–2 pages).
- Two letters of recommendation (one supervisory, one professional).
- Site Agreement form, available in the application.
Admissions materials should be directed to Graduate Admissions. If you have questions about graduate education or certification programs: