Integrated Studies major
Students planning to receive Elementary Teacher Certification must select the Integrated Studies major with a concentration in one of the following areas:
The following Foundations prerequisites apply to EDU 2300. It is recommended that students take EDU 2100 concurrently with EDU 2300 whenever possible.
Foundations prerequisites include:
- Official admission to SPU.
- Sophomore standing (45 credits).
- Minimum cumulative 2.8 GPA or 3.0 GPA in last 30 credits or higher.
- Completed Foundations packet (contact the Education office to obtain paperwork).
- Registered for EDU 2100 in the same quarter as EDU 2300 or must have completed EDU 2100.
- “Foundations” appointment with the certification advisor completed or scheduled and confirmed.
- Post-baccalaureate students only: Passing scores on the Washington state basic skills test (WEST-B), Washington state educators’ endorsement test (WEST-E/NES), and transcript evaluation by the School of Education.
Methods and skills courses
These courses may be taken independently of each other and the professional quarters. Courses must be completed prior to Methods quarter. See School of Education for more details.
You must receive a minimum GPA of 2.0 (“C”) or better in all methods and skills courses to be recommended for certification.
Methods Quarter is offered only Autumn Quarter. A minimum GPA of 2.0 (“C”) is required in all Methods courses.
Methods prerequisites include:
- Successful completion of the Foundations quarter with a 3.0 (“B”) average and no grade lower than a 2.0 (“C”).
- Senior standing (135 credits).
- Accepted into major.
- Applied to the Residency Teacher Certification program and admitted to the School of Education.
- Minimum cumulative 3.0 GPA or 3.3 GPA in the last 45 credits.
- Successful completion of all Core courses in the Integrated Studies major.
- Pass the School of Education interview or submit two letters of recommendation for review (if taking Foundations Autumn 2012 or later).
- Receive a favorable recommendation from SPU faculty and staff.
- Pass ENG 3301 with a minimum GPA 2.0 ( “C”), if admitted to the University Autumn 2012 or later.
- Passing EDRD 2000 with a minimum GPA 2.0 ( “C”).
- Fingerprint and preresidency clearance completed.
- Official passing scores on the Washington Educator Skills Test - Basic (WEST-B) testing requirement for teachers or official SAT/ACT scores meeting the minimum requirement for reading, writing, and mathematics.
- Take the appropriate Washington Educator Skills Test - Endorsement (WEST-E/NES) for each endorsement being earned.
Integrated and Internship quarters
Students must take Integrated and Internship quarters sequentially in the same academic year (Winter-Spring). A minimum 3.0 GPA (“B”) is required for Elementary Internships A and B.
Integrated and Internship prerequisites include:
- Successful completion of the Methods Quarter with no grade lower than a 2.0 ("C").
- Completion of 15 upper-division credits in student's major.
- Maintaining a 3.0 cumulative GPA or 3.3 in the last 45 credits throughout both quarters.
- Official passing score(s) on the appropriate Washington Educator Skills test - Endorsement (WEST-E/NES).
- SPU should have official passing scores at least ONE quarter prior to registering for Integrated Quarter. Official passing scores must be received by SPU before students will be given permission to register for Integrated quarter.
- Completion of EDU 3942.