The following Foundations prerequisites apply to EDU 2300. It is recommended that students take EDU 2100 concurrently with EDU 2300 whenever possible.
All Foundations courses must be passed with a 3.0 (“B”) average and no grade lower than a 2.0 (“C”).
Methods prerequisites include:
- Official admission to SPU.
- Sophomore standing (45 credits).
- Minimum cumulative 2.8 GPA or 3.0 GPA in last 30 credits.
- Completed foundations packet (contact the Education office to obtain paperwork).
- Registered for EDU 2100 the same quarter as EDU 2300 or must have completed EDU 2100.
- “Foundations” appointment with the certification advisor completed or scheduled and confirmed.
- Post-baccalaureate students only: Passing score on the Washington state basic skills tests (WEST-B), Washington state educators’ endorsement test (WEST-E/NES), and transcript evaluation by the School of Education.
Methods and Skills courses
These courses may be taken independently of each other and the professional quarters. Courses must be completed prior to Methods Quarter. See School of Education for more details.
Students must receive a minimum GPA of 2.0 (“C”) or better in all methods and skills courses to be recommended for certification.
Methods quarter is only offered Autumn Quarter. A minimum GPA of 2.0 ("C") is required in all methods courses.
Methods prerequisites include:
- Successful completion of the Foundations quarter with a 3.0 ("B") average and no grade lower than a 2.0 ("C").
- Senior standing (135 credits).
- Accepted into major.
- Applied to the Residency Teacher Certification program and admitted to the School of Education.
- P-12 Music students: Please see the School of Education at least one year before scheduled methods quarter to begin this paperwork.
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 or 3.3 in last 45 credits.
- Pass the School of Education interview or submit two letters of recommendation for review (if taking Foundations autumn 2012 or later).
- Receive a favorable recommendation from SPU faculty and staff.
- Pass ENG 3301 with a grade of 2.0 (“C”) or better (if admitted to the University autumn 2012 or later).
- Pass EDU 4530 with a grade of 2.0 (“C”) or better.
- Fingerprint and pre-residency clearance completed.
- Official passing score on the Washington Educator Skills Test – Basic (WEST-B) testing requirement for teachers or official ACT/SAT scores meeting the minimum requirement for reading, writing, and mathematics.
- Take the appropriate Washington Educator Skills Test – Endorsement (WEST-E/NES) for each endorsement being earned.
Integrated and Internship quarters
Students must take Integrated and Internship quarters sequentially in the same academic year (offered winter-spring).
A minimum 3.0 ("B") average is required for both internships.
Integrated and Internship prerequisites include:
- Successful completion of the Methods quarter with no grade lower than a 2.0 ("C").
Completion of 15 upper-division credits in major.
- Maintaining a minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA or 3.3 in the last 45 credits throughout both quarters.
- A passing score on the appropriate Washington educator skills endorsement test(s).
- Official passing score(s) on the appropriate Washington Educator Skills-Endorsement (WEST-E/NES) test(s).
- SPU should have official passing scores at least ONE quarter prior to registering for Integrated Quarter. Official passing scores must be received by SPU before students will be given permission to register for Integrated Quarter.
- Completion of EDU 3942.