The David L. Boren Undergraduate Scholarship provides resources that allow the recipient to study less commonly taught languages and culture abroad, and then use that knowledge in service to the U.S. federal government.
- One academic year of study abroad.
- Boren Scholars accept the service requirement of at least one year of service in a specific federal department or agency.
- Students interested in foreign language and government service.
- Academic record and potential to succeed in the proposed study abroad experience.
- Commitment to international education to fulfill academic and career goals.
- Language interest and aptitude.
- Prior experience in language training and/or demonstration of serious commitment to acquiring the target languages overseas.
- High motivation to study abroad based on evidence of interest in using the experience to support his/her academic and federal career goals.
- The student is mature and flexible and possesses the common sense needed to succeed in the proposed study abroad program.
- The student's professional goals are international in scope and support U.S. national security interests.
- The student expresses a commitment to pursue a career in federal service.
- All applications are submitted on-line (see web address below)
- SPU deadline is January 7, 2011
- SPU contact is Dr. Margaret Diddams (email@example.com )
It is very important to refer to the Boren Scholarships website for specific and complete information regarding this scholarship.