The The George J. Mitchell Scholarship is awarded annually to twelve students involved in pursuing a higher education degree. These Scholarships allow Americans to pursue one year of post-graduate study in any discipline offered at institutions of higher learning in Ireland and Northern Ireland.
The Mitchell Scholarship provides tuition and housing for one year along with international travel and a living expenses stipend.
- Documented evidence of achievement in academia.
- Documented evidence of achievement in leadership.
- Documented evidence of achievement in community service.
- Currently pursuing a master's degree or has the sufficient undergraduate work to begin a master's degree.
- Applicants must be U.S. citizens.
- Applicants must be at least age eighteen but not yet thirty by October 1, 2008.
- Applicants must have academic standing sufficient to ensure completion of a bachelor's degree before beginning their study under the Mitchell Scholarship.
- Each applicant must submit the online application, a personal essay, and activities/achievements statement no later than midnight (PDT) on October 5, 2010.
- Application materials that must be submitted by the October 6 deadline:
- Photocopy of applicant's birth certificate, passport, or other documented evidence of U.S. citizenship.
- 10 passport-size photos of un-mounted head and shoulders photograph of the applicant with the signature on the back of each photo.
- 10 copies of the applicant's college transcript. (one original, official copy, nine photocopies).
- Register names of at least five but no more than eight persons who have agreed to electronically submit the online recommendations.
- Institution endorsements must also be completed online for full time students.
It is very important to refer to the Mitchell Scholarship website for specific and complete information regarding this scholarship.