Professor of English
B.A., Westmont College, 1978; M.A., Emory University, 1981; Ph.D., Emory University., 1982. At SPU since 1993
Specialties: African literature, American literature, literary criticism.
Office: Marston 236
Susan VanZanten taught English at Covenant College, Baylor University, and Calvin College, before coming to SPU. Her graduate training was in 19th century American literature, but she has also done extensive research and writing in South African literature, faculty development, and Christian higher education. She has published seven books and numerous articles both in peer-reviewed journals and for general readers. Her academic memoir, Reading a Different Story: A Christian Scholar’s Journey from America to Africa, will be published in 2013 by Baker Press.
Selected Recent Publications
- “’Bridges Often Go’: Emily Dickinson’s Bridge Poems,” The New England Quarterly 85 (2012): 526-40.
- Joining the Mission: A Guide for (Mainly) New Faculty. Eerdmans, 2011.
- Mending a Tattered Faith: Devotions with Dickinson. Cascade, 2010.
- "Imagining Globalization as a Christian Literary Critic." The Gospel and Globalization: Exploring the Religious Roots of a Globalized World. Regent College P, 2009.
- Truth and Reconciliation: The Confessional Mode in South African Literature. Heinemann, 2002.
- Postcolonial Literature and the Biblical Call to Justice. UP of Mississippi, 1994.
Please view Dr. VanZanten’s personal webpage for C.V. and additional publications.
« View All Faculty