The Apparel Design and Merchandising specialization offers an exciting opportunity for students to earn an Associate Arts degree by participating in a one-year liaison program with the Fashion Institute of Technology (FIT) in New York City. FIT is a specialized college of art, design, business, and technology devoted to preparing men and women for careers in fashion and related professions. Accredited with the State of New York, FIT can participate in the one-year program as "Transfer Students" earning an AA degree upon completion at FIT.
As "Visiting Students" it is possible for students enrolled full time at Seattle Pacific University, and in good academic standing, to earn both an Associate of Arts degree from FIT and Bachelor of Arts degree from SPU by double counting course work. "General Education Requirements" and "Core Courses of FCS and Apparel Design and Merchandising" taken at SPU are transferred to fulfill those required at FIT; course work taken at FIT transfers back to fulfill total credit requirements for graduation at SPU.
FIT offers the following one-year programs in which SPU students or graduates can participate:
- Fashion Buying and Merchandising: For career in retail and wholesale organizations in buying, merchandising, fashion coordination, advertising, publicity, styling, sales or marketing.
- Advertising and Communication: For careers in advertising, public relations, promotion, and journalism.
- Advertising Design: For career opportunities in advertising agencies, department and specialty stores, art studios, buying offices, magazines, and free lance graphic designers.
- Apparel Production Management: For careers in the manufacture of apparel.
- Textile Technology: For careers in the textile and allied industries as textile converters, woven and/or knitted fabric development specialists, consumer products quality representatives, purchasing specialists, textile laboratory supervisors, and technical service representatives.
- Textile Design: For positions as designers, colorists, stylists, studio directors, and mill-liaison executives for screen and machine printed fabrics.
- Fashion Design: For positions as designers, assistant designers, stylists or fashion executives.
- Accessories Design: For careers in product development, personnel styling, and pattern development of leather and other accessories products.