The Racial & Ethnic Diversity Initiative at SPU
Gary and Barbara Ames Scholarship Fund
Ames Scholarship Awarding Philosophy
- To recruit and retain underrepresented high school graduates of color who may return to their communities and positively impact their world for Christ.
- Recipients must meet the admission standards of Seattle Pacific University.
- Awards will be made based on a combination of merit and need.
- The scholarship will not exceed one-half the cost of tuition and room and board of the student's entering year and shall be renewable based on meeting specific criteria.
- The scholarship will be used to minimize the amount of student loans a recipient may have to borrow.
- Scholarship recipients should work part-time while attending Seattle Pacific University.
- Recipients are expected to be active members of the SPU community.
Ames Scholarship Criteria
- Applicants must meet the fall admissions deadlines and standards of Seattle Pacific University.
- Applicants must complete a FAFSA, (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) every year they are in attendance at Seattle Pacific University.
- Applicants must be a part of an underrepresented ethnic minority group as defined by the University Enrollment Plan.
- Applicants must demonstrate significant community and/or church involvement.
- The applicant must be pursuing their first undergraduate degree.
- The dollar amount of the scholarship will be determined as follows: cost of attendance minus the expected family contribution minus federal grant aid minus state aid minus work award minus SPU academic scholarships equals the Ames Scholarship amount, not to exceed one-half of the cost of tuition and room and board.
Ames Scholarship Selection Process
- A report will be run to identify new high school admits who meet the scholarship deadline and criteria.
- The pool of qualified applicants will be reviewed and selected by the Scholarship Committee, with other members of the SPU community to be added at the Committee's discretion.
- A notice of the scholarship, along with the renewal criteria will be sent to each recipient.
Ames Scholarship Renewal Criteria
- Recipients must enroll for twelve or more credits per quarter.
- Recipients must maintain satisfactory progress as defined in the Seattle Pacific University Catalog.
- Recipients must maintain a 2.5 cumulative GPA, measured at the end of each academic year.
- The scholarship will be renewal through their fifth year of attendance.
Back to Diversity Home