They’ve Left the Nest. Now What?
Do you remember the day you sent your college freshman off to kindergarten?
This fall, you are at a transition point just like that moment. Saying good-bye may be sad. But it can also be good. Here are six suggestions for emptying the nest in a healthy manner:
- Don’t hide. Face the reality of this change yourself.
- Open hands. Remember to let go; we do our kids (and ourselves) a big favor.
- Think new. Expect change in your young adult.
- Add depth. Work to establish an adult-to-adult relationship.
- Reach out. Commit to initiating communication.
- Hit your knees. Pray a lot!
The Rev. Mark Abbott is senior pastor at
First Free Methodist Church (adjacent to SPU’s campus).
View Tips Archives