The position of peer advisor is a diverse one. To be effective as
a peer advisor, the following characteristics are important:
- SENSITIVITY: An awareness of and respect for the feelings and
ideas of others.
- INTEGRITY: An honest and forthright attitude about self and responsibilities.
- COMMUNICATION: An ability to accurately share
feelings and ideas with others and to listen effectively, remembering
that communication is a two-way street.
- GENUINENESS: A capacity to be trusted, to be
consistent and honest in relationships, demonstrating to students that
be treated fairly.
- FLEXIBILITY: An ability to adapt responsibly
to a variety of situations and personalities.
- COMMITMENT: A willingness to make an investment not merely
of one's time, but of one's self, skills, attitudes, feelings, and
concern for others.
- TEACHABILITY: A willingness to invest time and energy to learn
new behaviors and information that will be useful for effective
functioning in the peer-advisor role.
- SELF-DISCIPLINE: The ability to manage one's own life and responsibilities
and remain dependable and reliable with respect to commitments
- RESPECT FOR AUTHORITY: The willingness to act as an agent
the University, working cooperatively with the appropriate supervisory
Think you have what it takes? Apply now!
Applications for the 2013-2014 school year are due Thursday, January 24, 2013, by 5 p.m. in the Office of Residence Life, 2nd floor of the Student Union Building.
Please print out the following documents:
PA Informational Packet (WORD doc): Provides you with all the information you need to know about applying for the Peer Advisor position.
PA Application Packet (WORD doc): Please print or neatly type your responses. The short answer and essay responses must be typed.
PA Reference Forms (WORD doc): Print 3 copies. Reference forms must be completed by hand and are due in the Office of Residence Life by Thursday, January 24, 2013, by 5 p.m.
Please submit a printed copy of the completed application to the Office of Residence Life by the date above.
Any questions? Please contact the Office of Residence Life at 206-281-2043 (x2043 from a campus phone).