The position of resident advisor requires a diverse set of skills. To be an effective RA, you must demonstrate the following:
- Sensitivity: An awareness of and respect for the feelings and ideas of others.
- Integrity: An honest and forthright attitude about oneself and one’s responsibilities.
- Communication Skills: An ability to accurately and appropriately express ideas and emotions with others and to listen effectively, remembering that communication is a two-way street.
- Genuineness: Trustworthiness, consistency, and honesty in relationships, demonstrating to students that they will be treated fairly.
- Flexibility: An ability to adapt gracefully to a variety of situations and personalities.
- Commitment: A willingness to invest time, skills, and passion in this work.
- Teachability: A willingness to learn new behaviors and information essential to RA responsibilities.
- Self-discipline: The ability to manage one's own life and responsibilities, remaining reliable with respect to commitments and responsibilities.
- Respect for Authority: The willingness to act as an agent of the University, working cooperatively with the appropriate supervisory authority.
To be considered for the RA position, you must:
- Have a commitment to Christian faith and values.
- Have at least a 2.7 cumulative GPA.
- Be a full-time student (at least 12 credits per quarter) and plan to be enrolled for the entire 2016-17 academic year.
- Be able to participate in RA training, beginning September 7, 2016, and running until school begins on September 28, 2016, without any other outside commitments during that time.
- Have a complete file, including a completed Resident Advisor Application, a signed Student Waiver form, and the three required RA references.
Additional Preferred Qualifications:
- Junior or senior status at the time of employment.
- Experience with SPU residential living — either having lived on campus, or having experience on campus and with other residential activities.
Upcoming Information Sessions
January 13 and 14 (Wednesday and Thursday), 2016
Hill Hall Lounge, 7:30 p.m.–8:30 p.m.
RA Job Description and Selection Process Materials:
Applications and references for the 2016-17 selection process are due by 5 p.m, on Thursday, January 28, 2016.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.