General Resources
Catalogs & Time Schedule

Faculty Resources
Get Answers

Suggested Course Sequences
Transfer Equivalency Guide

Enrollment Verification


Non-Matriculated Students
Order a Transcript
Veterans Education Benefits

Meet the Team
Academic Counselors

International Student Records
Records & Registration

Technology Services

Phone: 206-281-2031
Fax: 206-281-2669

Student Academic Services: Get Answers

Student Academic Services Staff

Graduate Students:

How does the waitlist work?


SPU students have the option of waitlisting any classes that are closed. As space becomes available in closed classes, waitlisted students will be registered on a first-come basis. (If you have extenuating circumstances, please email the instructor of the course explaining your particular situation.)

  • If a spot opens up for you, Banner will generate an email to you with a deadline for you to take action on your registration. Typically, this deadline will be 24 hours, however it may be extended for breaks.
  • After Banner emails you about an opening, and you still want the spot in the course, you will access your own registration in self-service Banner and add yourself to the course.
  • Important notes:
    • You will no longer need to designate 1st waitlist, 2nd waitlist, or “drop if get into waitlisted course” instructions. When you register for the open spot you may need to drop yourself from another course if the course is a duplicate, there is a time conflict, or if you have too many credits.
    • If you miss your window to register for the course you will need to re-add yourself to the waitlist. When you re-add yourself you will be added to the bottom of the waitlist.
    • Time conflicts will require an instructor override be entered on both courses affected in Banner before you can register.  The instructors can enter the override themselves, can direct SAS to enter an override via email or the instructors can sign a Special Approval form which can be brought into SAS that gives SAS permission to enter an override.
    • Check your SPU email: The only way you will be notified of a waitlist opening is by a Banner generated email to your SPU email address.  Banner will not generate an email to an off-campus email address.

Students may waitlist a class via the web or by coming in person to Student Academic Services, Demaray Hall 151.

The waitlist is in effect from the first day of registration; it ends on the 5th day of the quarter. See the Academic Calendar to find out when the waitlist ends each quarter. Student Academic Services will begin running the waitlist after a buffer week that follows registration week. 
The buffer week gives departments a chance to address course needs. During this time, new sections and seats can be added before Banner starts processing the waitlist. This also gives departments a chance to evaluate the students on the waitlists as well. For example, on occasion, a senior who needs a particular course to graduate might be moved up the waitlist over a sophomore who still has more time to take the course.

If you have additional questions about the waitlist process, contact Student Academic Services at or 206-281-2031.


How do I waitlist?

  • Select the “Registration and Schedules Menu” under the “Student Menu” in Banner
  • Select the “Register, Add and Drop Classes” link, and enter the Course Reference Number (CRN) for the desired course.
  • Click on “Submit Changes,” and the “registration error” message will appear, indicating how many students are waitlisted for the course.
  • From the drop down menu, select “Waitlist.” If you do not select and save this option, you will not be waitlisted for the course.

To check your registration, select “detail schedule” and all the courses you are currently waitlisted or registered for should appear. Status block should say “Waitlist” for your waitlisted courses.

Withdrawal From Classes

The policy for withdrawing from a class is as follows:

  • A withdrawal from a course during the first week of the quarter will not appear on the transcript.
  • A withdrawal from a course during weeks two through six of the quarter will be noted with a “W” on the transcript.
  • No withdrawals are accepted after the sixth week of the quarter.
  • If a student does not provide proper written notification to Student Academic Services, financial obligations will remain binding, regardless of whether classes were attended or whether any contracted services were utilized.
  • If a student does not withdraw from a course by the end of the sixth week of the quarter, but stops attending the course, the student will receive the grade earned.
  • Should the student desire to complete the course during a future quarter, the student will be required to register and pay the current tuition for the course.
  • After the fifth day of the quarter the student must obtain the required signatures on a Withdrawal form (PDF) to withdraw from a course.

Complete Withdrawal From School

Student Academic Services or withdraw via the web. The web withdrawal is available only until 5 p.m. on the fifth day of an academic quarter. Refunds and adjustments to the student’s account are governed by the financial policies listed in the Costs and Financial Aid section.

A student who registers but does not attend classes must notify Student Academic Services in writing to cancel his or her registration and related charges. The date this notice is received will determine the amount of refund where applicable. After the fifth day of the quarter the student must submit the appropriate withdrawal form.

If a student fails to withdraw through Student Academic Services by the end of the sixth week of the quarter, the student will receive the grade earned.

To be eligible for a refund of parking fees, the student must inform the Office of Safety and Security. Parking refunds are calculated in accordance with the tuition refund policy.

Administrative Withdrawals Requested by Instructors

If an instructor or advisor receives notification that an SPU student will not be attending, the instructor may contact Student Academic Services and request that the student be administratively withdrawn from the course.

If a student does not attend class within the first two days of the quarter, an instructor may ask Student Academic Services to administratively withdraw a student from the class. If a student knows that he or she will miss the first class, it is best to notify the instructor to avoid being withdrawn from the class.

Administrative Withdrawals Requested by Student Financial Services

Student Financial Services has the right to have a student completely withdrawn from classes due to an unpaid balance.

Return to Graduate Student Get Answers

Return to Get Answers