Student Financial Services
Student Financial Services

Financial Aid: VA and DOD

Departments of Veterans Affairs and Defense Education Benefits

If you served on Active Duty, you might be eligible for education benefits offered by the VA. For example, the Post-9/11 GI Bill provides financial support for educational and housing expenses to individuals with at least 90 days of aggregate service after September 10, 2001, or individuals discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days.

If you are currently serving in the military, you may be eligible for funding offered through the Department of Defense Tuition Assistance program. Check your eligibility status and the amount for which you qualify with your Service prior to enrolling.

If you are the spouse or child of a service member who is servicing on active duty Title 10 orders in the pay grades of E1-E5, O1-O2, or W1-W2, you may be eligible for financial assistance from the Department of Defense for education, training, and/or the occupational license and credentials necessary for a portable career.

If you are the spouse or child of a service member, you may be eligible for transfer of the service member’s Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits to you.

In addition you (the student) may be eligible for other financial assistance. To be considered for additional aid, such as federal, state and most institutional aid, students should complete a FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) for each academic year.

Federal, state and institutional grants and loans are awarded based on financial need as determined by the FAFSA, enrollment and available funding. Students may also apply for alternative/private educational loans but should be aware that the terms and conditions may be less favorable than federal funds. We encourage students to consider using all eligibility for federal loans before applying for alternative/private loans.

After being admitted to Seattle Pacific University, students receiving educational benefits from the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) will be sent a letter from Student Financial Services detailing estimated costs, financial aid, owing balance and payment options.

There is more information for veterans, reservists and dependents available from Student Academic Services.


Last Updated: 5/20/2013