Current MFT Students: Admission
- Screening. The Marriage and Family TherapyGraduate Admissions Committee will complete an initial application screening process based on the application materials only.
- Group Interview. In late July, finalists are invited to meet with members of the committee for an hour group interview.
- Recommendation and approval. Admission to the MDFT program depends on recommendation by the MFT faculty and approval from the director of MDFT.
- Timeline. The entire process is usually completed within five weeks after the final deadline date for applications.
- Probationary period. All students are admitted on a probation status in order to allow faculty to be certain students are fully prepared for placement in a medical clinic. Once the students has been assessed by MDFT faculty and cleared for their clinical readiness the Director will lift probationary status.
Application Checklist for Current MFT Students:
Have you completed and submitted these five items? All need to be done in order to process your application.
Current MFT Applicants will include two professional references. Please include references’ name, title, phone number, and email. References should speak to applicants clinical readiness, clinical awareness, and personal character.
Applicants will submit a current vita or resume that shows education, relevant work, or volunteer experiences, and references.
- Personal Statement
Applicants will submit a typed, succinct personal statement that provides an accurate indication of writing and grammatical skills. Statements should be 2-3 pages in length and double spaced.
The personal statement should address:
- Objectives. Your career goals.
- Why MDFT. Personal interest in the medical family therapy program.
- Strengths. Professional and personal strengths as they apply to the mental health profession.
- Experience. Related volunteer or work experiences.
- Why now. Personal and professional life experiences and how they have converged to motivate your application to the MDFT program.