The M.A. program begins in Autumn Quarter and admits students once a year. The application deadline is February 15.
The admissions committee of the Industrial/Organizational Psychology program conducts a preliminary screening process. Admission depends upon recommendation by the program faculty and approval from the department chair. This process is usually completed within eight weeks after the final application deadline.
Listed below is a brief outline of University and program requirements for admission to the Master of Arts (M.A.) in Industrial/Organizational Psychology programs.
- A bachelor's degree with a minimum grade-point average of 3.0 from a regionally accredited institution.
A minimum of one business or social science statistics course and two courses in psychology must be completed (at a regionally accredited institution) prior to admission to the program.
- Graduate Record Exam (GRE): The test must have been administered within five years of the deadline date for application to the program. A combined score of 950 on the verbal and quantitative sections of the GRE is preferred.
- A typed personal statement that demonstrates writing and grammatical skills; addresses career objectives and the rationale for seeking the degree and choosing to attend SPU; and indicates personal qualifications, experience, and other insights as deemed appropriate by the applicant.
- Three letters of recommendation (one personal, one professional, and one academic) on the forms provided.
- (If English is not the applicant's first language) For the M.A., a minimum Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) score of 550 on the paper-based test or 213 on the computer-based test. For the Ph.D., a minimum TOEFL score of 600 on the paper-based test or 250 on the computer-based test.
- (If the applicant is not a citizen or permanent resident of the United States) An official confidential statement of financial support covering each year of intended enrollment.
Transfer of Credit
Students who have taken graduate work at a regionally accredited institution may be allowed to transfer up to 12 quarter units. Students must provide applicable transcripts and/or syllabi. Each course must be at least 3 graduate quarter credits, equivalent to courses taught in the industrial/organizational psychology programs at Seattle Pacific University, and completed within seven years of admission. A minimum grade of B will be needed for transferred work. Any transfer credit petitions should be submitted only after formal admission to the master's program.