Application and Checklist
The Application for Admission is completed online (please note: the MA-TESOL program is in the College of Arts & Sciences) and all supporting documents should be mailed to the Graduate Center.
Application Checklist for standard MA-TESOL Program (The checklist for the MA-TESOL + K-12 Certification can be found here.)
The following items and information must be included in your application file:
- Application for Admission (Please note: the MA-TESOL program is in the College of Arts & Sciences)
- Please list any experience you may have in the ESL/EFL field. Experience is not necessary for admission to the program.
- Personal statement essay
- This essay is your opportunity to introduce yourself. Content and presentation will be considered in the admission decision. Please include your name on each page of the essay.
- GRE or MAT scores sent to SPU directly from the testing administrator
- All applicants must take either the GRE or MAT and have their official report sent to SPU directly from the testing administrator. A minimum admission standard has been established for each exam (for GRE, a minimum score of 155 on the verbal portion of the revised GRE (500 for exams taken prior to August 1, 2011) and 3.5 on the analytical writing portion; for MAT, a minimum of 400). The GRE or MAT requirement is waived for non-native English speakers. Please see requirements below.
- Official transcripts from all colleges and/or universities attended
- Include the transcript from the institution which granted your bachelor's degree with the posted degree appearing on it. Also, send official transcripts from all institutions attended prior to or following your undergraduate degree.
- Two letters of recommendation
- Two recommendations from academic or professional sources are required. Respondents should address the applicant's character, scholarship, and potential for success in a graduate-level program. Respondents should not be related to you.
- A copy of your résumé
- $50 application fee
Non-native English speakers
Send the official score report for the TOEFL test. Our minimum requirement is 100 on the iBT and 600 on the paper-based test. We do not accept the IELTS exam. Note: Both the TOEFL score and the personal statement essay are considered when determining English proficiency.
If you are not a citizen or permanent resident of the United States, you must submit a completed Declaration of International Student Finances form and current bank statement. The estimated cost per year for a student living alone is $44,000. For a student living with family, the estimated cost is $32,000.