From the President




  Books & Film



  My Response

  Letters to the Editor

  Online Bulletin Board

  Contact Response

  Submit Footnote

  Submit Letter to Editor

  Address Change

  Back Issues

  Response Home

  SPU Home

Spring 2004 | Volume 26, Number 6 | Footnotes

In Memoriam

O. ELLIS ARNOLD ’33 died November 5, 2003, at the age of 94. Born in Missouri to a Free Methodist minister and his wife, Ellis was 9 years old when he became a Christian. After attending Seattle Pacific High School and College, he worked for the U.S. Department of Indian Affairs in Alaska from 1933 to 1947. In 1934, he married DOROTHY MACY ’33. The couple moved to Salinas, California, in 1948, where Ellis taught industrial arts at the secondary level until his retirement in 1971. Dorothy died in 1982, and Ellis married Romona Thomas in 1984. He is survived by Romona; sister ELISABETH ARNOLD QUAALE ’36; and five nieces, including JO MACY LEWIS ’63 and PHYLLIS MACY SORTOR ’64.

VERN ARCHER ’37 died December 20, 2003. He was 94 years old. A native of Densmore, Kansas, Vern graduated from Central College in McPherson, Kansas, before coming to SPC. He earned a master’s degree at the University of Washington in 1938 and served in the U.S. Navy during World War II. He retired from the Washington Education Association in 1971 after 25 years of service. He was a devoted Christian, husband and father, and enjoyed golfing, travel and studying butterflies. Preceded in death by his wife of 55 years, RUTH BLAIR ARCHER ’38, Vern is survived by two daughters, RANDI ARCHER MICHALSKY ’69 and MARY ARCHER HALVARSON ’70, and two granddaughters.

EDWIN BAYLEY CC ’50 died January 4, 2004, at the age of 85. A pastor for many years, Edwin was a member of the Oregon-Idaho Conference of the United Methodist Church. He served in churches in Holden, Alberta, Canada; Yoncalla, Oregon; Buhl and Castleford, Idaho; and Astoria, Oregon, before retiring in 1984. He is survived by his wife, Olive; three sons; five daughters; 19 grandchildren; and four great-grandchildren.

DEBORAH RITTER BIELAWSKI ’93 died January 22, 2004, of cancer. She was 32 years old. After graduating from SPU, Deborah earned a master of science degree from the University of Washington. She taught physics full-time at Seattle Central Community College and part-time at the University of Washington during the summers. She was active at University Presbyterian Church in Seattle, as well as in home Bible studies. Deborah is survived by her husband, William; her parents; and two brothers, including MARK RITTER ’97.

ROSALIE DODD ’56 died February 21, 2004, after a long battle with cancer. She was 70 years old. One of 10 children born to a Free Methodist pastor and his wife, Rosalie graduated from SPC and enrolled in Women’s Medical College in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. She graduated from medical school in the early 1960s and was the first female surgical resident at St. Luke’s Presbyterian Hospital in Chicago and one of the pioneering U.S. female plastic surgeons. She first practiced in Manhattan and in Wisconsin, but spent most of her career in Minneapolis, Minnesota, and Bismarck, North Dakota. While living in Bismarck, Rosalie also raised horses and purebred beef cattle. Rosalie retired to Portland, Oregon, and later moved to Astoria, Oregon. She is survived by three brothers and six sisters, including ELAINE DODD WILLIAMS ’53 and MARIETTA DODD QUAL CC ’57, and more than 50 nieces, nephews, grandnieces and grandnephews.

LESLIE ERB ’37 died December 24, 2004, at the age of 91. Born in Idaho, Leslie married Alma Gorely in 1937 following graduation from SPC. After graduation, they moved to Eugene, Oregon, where they remained. Leslie sold insurance, worked on the railroad and served as pastor at several churches over the years. He enjoyed hunting, fishing and traveling. He was an SPU Fellow since 1984 and a founder of the American Rights Council. Predeceased by his wife, Leslie is survived by a son and daughter, and three grandchildren.

JERRY GOEBEL ’73 died February 15, 2004, as the result of an automobile accident. He was 59 years old. Born and raised in Seattle, Jerry served in the U.S. Navy from 1966–1970 and was a Vietnam veteran. After graduating from SPC, Jerry taught elementary school in the North Thurston (Washington) School District for 30 years. He retired in 2002. Remembered as a loving and gentle man, Jerry attended First United Methodist Church in Olympia and was an active member of the Lacey Sunrise Lions and the Olympia Elks. He is survived by his wife, Jan; two sons; one stepson; one stepdaughter; and four grandchildren.

MAXINE HAYNES, SPU professor emerita of nursing, died at her Seattle home on Saturday, March 20, 2004. She was 85 years old.

Born in Seattle, Maxine was 5 years old when an African-American nurse came to her family’s home to care for her grandfather. She later said the nurse looked “like an angel to me.”

The impression was so strong that young Maxine decided to become a nurse. And she did — despite being denied admittance in the 1930s by numerous universities, including the University of Washington, because of her skin color. The Lincoln School of Nursing in New York finally accepted her. When she returned to Seattle in 1945, Maxine became Providence Hospital’s first African-American nurse. In 1949, she helped found the Mary Mahoney Registered Nurses Club in Seattle.

In 1971, the UW appointed her assistant professor of nursing, but in 1976, she came to Seattle Pacific as a full professor of community health nursing. Maxine was instrumental in helping to establish SPU’s Costa Rica Nursing Program, which regularly takes nursing students to the Central American country to serve through the use of their nursing skills. Even after retiring in 1981, she continued taking SPU students to Costa Rica. “Maxine had a wonderful, loving heart for transcultural nursing,” says Professor Emerita Vicki McClurg. “She was also committed to turning out students with high ethical standards and a desire to serve the underserved.”

Two years after the death of her first husband, Edward Davis Jr., in 1967, Maxine married Lionel Haynes. He died in the 1980s. Maxine is survived by her son, Edward Davis III, two stepdaughters and numerous grandchildren and great-grandchildren.

GENEVA HEMRY ’30 died September 28, 2001, at the age of 94. Geneva was the last surviving sibling among seven brothers and sisters who attended or graduated from Seattle Pacific High School and College from the 1920s into the mid-1940s. After graduating, she taught in the Shoreline (Washington) School District for 37 years, retiring in 1970. Of numerous awards given to her, she especially treasured the Golden Acorn Award for special achievement in service to children. A longtime member of University Presbyterian Church in Seattle, she also sang in the Light and Life Hour Choir for 15 years. The choir’s music was broadcast nationwide during the Light and Life Hour radio program of the Free Methodist Church. Never married, Geneva is survived by many nieces, nephews, grandnieces and grandnephews, including nephew LARRY HEMRY ’63.

GERTRUDE HOLTGEERTS HUNTER ’444 died March 12, 2004. She was 81 years old. Born in Anacortes, Washington, Gertrude taught school after graduating from SPC, including at Lydia Hawk Elementary School in the North Thurston (Washington) School District from 1967–1990. While at SPC, she met and married HARRIS HUNTER ’42, who pastored United Presbyterian churches in Tacoma and Spokane, Washington. He was named SPU Alumnus of the Year in 1983. Gertrude was active with her husband in his role as trustee for Kiwanis International from 1980–83. She was also an active member of Westwood Baptist Church in Olympia, Washington. Predeceased by her husband, Gertrude is survived by one daughter, GLORIA HUNTER ’74; two sons, DAVID HUNTER ’72 and MARK HUNTER ’78; and four grandchildren, including SPU sophomore BRIAN HUNTER.

HARLEY PHELPS CC ’38 died February 1, 2004. He was 87 years old. Born in Republic, Washington, he served in the U.S. Navy during World War II and the Korean conflict. Afterwards, he moved to Portland, Oregon, where he was a manager with the U.S. Postal Service for 36 years. Harvey married Ethel Knauss in 1938, and she died in 2000. He is survived by two sons, one daughter, 12 grandchildren and 14 great-grandchildren.

JOHN RICE ’51 died January 11, 2004. He was 74 years old. Born in Edwaleni, South Africa, John served for five years in the U.S. Navy after graduating from SPC. He earned a master’s degree in hospital administration from Washington University in St. Louis, Missouri, and went on to become president and CEO of Augustana Hospital in Chicago, Illinois, and administrator of Woodstock Christian Care in Woodstock, Illinois. Active at Creekside Free Methodist Church in Wheaton, Illinois, John also served the Free Methodist Church on a state and national level. Predeceased by his first wife, Bonnie, John is survived by his second wife, Marjorie; three sons; one daughter; three stepsons; three grandchildren; and nine stepgrandchildren.

HARLOW SNYDER ’43, a prolific student recruiter for SPU, died on March 27, 2004. He was 83 years old. Devoted to church and Christian higher education, his influence for Seattle Pacific got results. From Boulder, Colorado, Harlow worked college fairs, youth-worker conferences and youth-pastor contacts as area representative for the SPU Alumni Association. In fact, in 1988, he and his wife, MARJE SNYDER ’42, were named SPU Alumni of the Year for their efforts. After Marje died in 1990, Harlow remained committed to their alma mater through The Society of Fellows. He said that he served so diligently because a Seattle Pacific professor once urged the Snyders “to live a life of minimum regrets.”

Born in 1920 and raised on a Kansas farm, Harlow attended two years at Central College in McPherson, Kansas, before transferring to SPC. After graduation, he began a 25-year career with Scientific Supplies Industrial Laboratories in sales and administration. He married Marje, and the couple lived on Seattle’s Queen Anne Hill, attending nearby First Free Methodist Church. They befriended, he once said, “most of the people for whom campus buildings are named.”

Harlow was promoted in his job, and the family moved to Boulder, where he eventually worked as a financial manager for the Behavioral Research Institute. He retired in 1984.

“We miss Dad’s warm and generous presence, but treasure his memory and are inspired by his example,” says his son, GREGORY SNYDER ’82. Predeceased by his wife, Harlow is survived by his son, sister EFFIE GILLESPIE ’39, one grandson and one granddaughter.

LEIGH ANNE TARBILL ’02 died December 5, 2003, at the age of 23. Born in Seattle, Leigh Anne earned her bachelor’s degree in three years at SPU. At the time of her death, she was a registrar and counselor with the American International University in Chicago, Illinois. From age 3, Leigh Anne loved ice skating. She was a Northwest Regional Juvenile Champion in figure skating, placing 12th nationally. She completed her gold tests in figure skating, freestyle and ice dancing in both the United States and Canada. Leigh Anne loved to travel and went to India, where she volunteered at Mother Teresa’s orphanage. She is survived by her parents, two brothers and three grandparents.

ESTHER VICE ’71 died December 30, 2003, at the age of 94. Born in Garrett, Indiana, Esther graduated from Terre Haute Normal School, teaching for several years in a one-room country school. In 1934, she married Aaron Thomas Vice, and they traveled across the United States to hold revival meetings in small communities, finally settling in Sunnyside, Washington, in 1936. In 1949, Esther attended Central Washington State University in Ellensburg, updating her teaching certificate. She taught in the Sunnyside Schools until 1969, when she moved to Edmonds, Washington, to teach and be near her family. During this time, Esther attended SPU. Predeceased by both her husband and her son, she is survived by two daughters, WILMA VICE SMITH ’62 and CYNTHIA VICE LI ’67; eight grandchildren; and 12 great-grandchildren.

Back to the top
Back to Footnotes



In Memoriam