From the President






  My Response

  Letters to the Editor

  Online Bulletin Board

  Submit Footnote

  Submit Letter to Editor

  Address Change

  Back Issues

  Response Home

  SPU Home

Summer 2002 | Volume 25, Number 3 | Footnotes

In Memoriam

ROBIN GREEN BELL '95 died unexpectedly while playing soccer on April 8, 2002. She was 42 years old. Born in San Francisco, California, and a longtime resident of Seattle, Robin was a manager for United Parcel Service and active in the deaf community and in the Seattle Mountaineers, a climbing organization. She is survived by one son; her parents; three brothers; one sister; and her aunt, VIRGINIA HUSTED '63.

LOUIS BRAILE '43 died on April 25, 2002, from complications of a stroke in Port Orchard, Washington. He was 80 years old. Born in Denver, Colorado, Louis married Gwen Durham after graduating from SPC and attended Marquette Medical School in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. He served in the U.S. Army between 1946-1948, achieving the rank of captain. He then became a family practice physician, retiring in 1996 after nearly 50 years. In addition to his medical practice, Louis volunteered overseas with the American Refugee Committee. He served in Vietnam, Thailand and Cambodia. His final tour was in Goma, Zaire, in 1994, caring for Rwandan refugees. Volunteers and refugees referred to him as "Papa Louis." He is survived by his wife, one son, one daughter and three grandchildren.

BONITA BERGER '51 died at her home on May 30, 2002. She was 72 years old. After graduating from SPC, Bonita worked in several technical positions at places such as Boeing and the U.S. Submarine Division in Bremerton, Washington. Single, she continued to live in her childhood home in West Seattle. She is survived by several cousins.

LOREN BURTON PBI '38 died on December 24, 2001, in Newberg, Oregon. He was 95. Born in Fort Collins, Colorado, Loren attended Portland Bible Institute (which later became Cascade College). There he met Myrtle Altig, and they married in 1938. During his life, he served on the Boise, Idaho, Rescue Mission Board for several years, and had a ministry in the Canyon County Jail in Cald-well, Idaho. He also worked on the family farm in Melba, Idaho, and as a carpenter's assistant. Loren was an active member of Green-leaf Friends Church in Greenleaf, Idaho, and later of North Valley Friends Church in Newberg. He is survived by his wife, three daughters, two sons, 13 grandchildren and 15 great-grandchildren.

RALPH CHAPMAN CC '43 died on April 11, 2002, at the age of 86. Born in Roundup, Montana, he was raised in Spokane, Washington, and moved to Portland, Oregon, in the 1930s. He married MARIE ELLIS CC '41 in 1941. After graduating from Cascade College, Ralph served as a missionary to Bolivia for 14 years before returning to Oregon in 1959. He later was a writer and translator for Barclay Press before retiring. Survivors include his wife, two daughters, a son, seven grand-children and seven great-grandchildren.

MARGARET COULSON DICUS PBI '34 of Newberg, Oregon, died on March 31, 2002. She was 87. Margaret attended Portland Bible Institute (which later became Cascade College) for three years before transferring to Pacific College and graduating in 1936. She married Randall Dicus in 1937 and lived in Portland until 1944, when they moved to Spokane, Washington. There she worked as a Release Time Bible School teacher and then as an elementary school teacher for the Spokane Public Schools. She retired in 1975 and moved with her husband to Taiwan, where she was a counselor at Morrison Academy for seven years. Once back in Oregon, Margaret was active in Christian Women's Club and attended Newberg Friends Church, where she served as an elder. She was also a church organist for many years and served as president of Washington state's teachers honorary, Delta Kappa Gamma. Margaret is survived by her husband, daughter KAREN DICUS SCOTT CC '64, three granddaughters and three great-granddaughters.

RUTH ROBERTS KNAUSS PBI '36 died on October 14, 2001. She was 88. Born in Spokane, Washington, Ruth graduated from Portland Bible Institute (which later became Cascade College) and married Wilmer Knauss in 1937. A homemaker, she lived in Happy Valley, Oregon, for 35 years before moving to Milwaukie, Oregon, in the 1960s. Predeceased by her husband in 1990, Ruth is survived by one daughter, two grandchildren and two great-grandchildren.

KEITH LUNDBERG '69 died on May 4, 2002, after battling leukemia. He was 55. Born in Seattle, he began a career in health care administration soon after graduating from SPC. He served in Washington and Oregon hospitals, including 20 years at the Virginia Mason Medical Center in Seattle, where he was director of the Health Services Consortium and associate administrator in charge of regional and international relationships. In 1988, he was appointed to the National Advisory Committee on Rural Health Policy within the Health Resources and Services Administration in Washington, D.C., and served in that position until 1993. When Keith left Virginia Mason in 1998, he developed a consulting business, Medical Resource Strategies, working with various businesses and organizations interested in innovative communication techniques. In 2001, he was awarded the Joe Hopkins Award by the Washington State Hospital Association for his dedication, leadership and influence on the hos- pitals of Washington state. Keith's Christian faith was the focal point of his life, and he was known as a man of integrity who loved his family and supported the community. He was a member of Highland Covenant Church in Seattle, and he enjoyed sports and spending time with his children. He is survived by his wife, SALLY PETERSON LUNDBERG '69, one son, one daughter and his parents.

A. W. "MONTY" MORTON '34 died on April 15, 2002, after a long illness. He was 88 years old. Born in Montana to Canadian homesteaders, Monty became an active Seattle business and civic leader after graduating from SPC and the University of Washington. His real estate investment partnerships owned and managed downtown Seattle properties, including the Sorrento Hotel, and he founded Youth Adventure Inc., a nonprofit organization dedicated to constructive youth activities. He also began Associated Research and Development Corporation (ADRCO), which between 1971 and 1973 built the first high-rise condominiums on the perimeter of downtown Seattle's commercial and business district. Other career highlights include serving as vice president for transportation for the Century 21 Exposition at the Seattle World's Fair, being named a member of the Mayor's Advisory Committee on the Seattle Center, and chairing the In-City Living Task Forces for both the Central Association and the city of Seattle in the decade after the 1962 World's Fair. An avid sailor, Monty founded the Shilshole Bay Yacht Club, added small-boat training to the Boy Scouts program and, in 1962, sailed across the Atlantic Ocean from Boston to Calais, France. In 1971, he received the Charles Fredrick Chapman Award for his dedication to youth boating activities. He was president of the Seattle American Baptist Association, state chairman of American Baptist World Missions and a board member of the American Baptists Foreign Mission Society. Monty is survived by his wife of 67 years, EUNICE QUENSENBURY MORTON '34; two daughters; two granddaughters; and a great-grandson.

ROY SMITH '49 died on May 21, 2002. He was 92 years old. During World War II, Roy and his wife, Myrtle, moved to Bremerton, Washington, where he became a welder on the battleships in the Naval Shipyard. In 1946, they moved with their three children to Seattle, where Roy attended SPC, earning a teaching certificate. In 1961, he returned to Seattle Pacific to earn a master of education in science curriculum. He taught in the Highline School District for 25 years, retiring in 1975. Following the death of Myrtle in 1987, Roy married Myra Smestad, who also preceded him in death. He was an active member and officer of the Bible Science Foundation, worked with the Gideons for many years and faithfully attended The Church by the Side of the Road, serving as an elder. Roy is survived by three children, MARK SMITH '60, DURWOOD SMITH '68 and RENEE SMITH ERVIN '68; six grandchildren; and six great-grandchildren.

DELORALEE "DEE" WEBB TINDALL '60 died on July 19, 2002, after a two-year battle with cancer. She was 64 years old. Raised in Washington, Dee earned a degree in education from SPC. She eventually returned to work for her alma mater for 30 years, first in the Bookstore, then in the Admissions Office and then for 21 years in the School of Education. There she worked with students, helping them to become certified teachers. A member of First Free Methodist Church in Seattle for nearly 50 years, Dee enjoyed knitting and spending time with her grandchildren. Predeceased by her husband, G. Alden Tindall, Dee is survived by four children, ANNE TINDALL COATS '82, RUTH TINDALL DREWER '84, KAREN TINDALL KERNS '86 and PAUL TINDALL '93; nine grandchildren; and her parents.

JUANITA BROWN WALLER '47 died on June 7, 2001, after battling a malignant brain tumor. She was 78. Born in Claremore, Oklahoma, Juanita and her husband, ROBERT WALLER '46, together attended SPC and then the New York Theological Seminary. After her schooling, she became a legal assistant, a career she continued for 35 years. A minister, Robert began his ministry in New York before transferring to the Pacific Northwest, where he served in Stevenson, Kennewick, West Highlands, Seattle and Des Moines. The couple retired in 1988. Remembered for her faith, her wit and her compassion for all, Juanita is survived by her husband, one daughter, one son and five grandchildren. She was preceded in death by another daughter.

DELLA WOLCOTT, a longtime friend of SPU, died on July 9, 2002. She was 100 years old. Born in Chetak, Wisconsin, Della and her husband, Archie Wolcott, moved to Seattle in the mid-1950s, soon becoming active members of First Free Methodist Church. For a time, she worked in Gwinn Commons on the Seattle Pacific campus. The couple had one son, Eldon, who died in the 1970s. Archie died in 1986. Della is survived by three grandchildren and five great-grandchildren.

FREDERICK WILSON CC '66 died on March 9, 2000, in Redding, California. A retired bookbinder of Wilson's Book/Bible Rebinding, Frederick is survived by his wife, Darla, two daughters and a son.

Back to the top
Back to Footnotes


Cascade Corner

Medallion Awards