2017–18 Additional Undergraduate Student Fees
In addition to direct instructional costs, Seattle Pacific University’s tuition and fees covers a wide range of student and academic support services, including guidance services and social activities.
Additional fees may apply for administrative, some courses and programs, student services, special program fees, and other fees.
Student Services fees
Center for Career and Calling services
Most Center for Career and Calling services (e.g., career counseling) and events (e.g., job fairs) are free to undergraduate students.
- Career testing: $20 per test
- Residential students: Fees included in room charges
- Commuter students: $40 per quarter on first visit
- International Student Services Fee: $200 per quarter/$600 annually
Medical insurance fees
The Affordable Care Act has changed SPU’s ability to offer health insurance to our students. This means a health insurance plan will not be offered to domestic (American) undergraduates or graduate students for the 2017–18 academic year.
In accordance with the national health care reform, Washington state has launched the Washington Health Benefit Exchange to assist people in obtaining affordable individual health insurance. These will be individual plans, not plans offered by SPU.
All international students and their dependents are required to enroll in the University International Student Medical Insurance Plan year-round (including vacation periods). Any exceptions require documentation of a comparable plan. Undocumented students may contact the International Student Services office for medical insurance information and guidance.
Waivers may be obtained only at Health Services and must be completed prior to the fifth day of the quarter. Students who have not received a waiver will automatically be charged the health insurance premium fee. Though health insurance for students' dependents is not required, it is strongly recommended and can be purchased directly through the SPU insurance vendor.
- Commuter parking: $215, per quarter
- Residential student parking for Ashton, Hill, Moyer residence halls and apartments: $215, per quarter
- Residential student parking for Arnett and Emerson resident halls: $225, per quarter
- Motorcycle parking (50% discount) for Ashton, Hill, Moyer residence halls: $108, per quarter
- Motorcycle parking (50% discount) for Arnett and Emerson resident halls: $112, per quarter
- 2-person carpool parking (50% discount): $108, per quarter
- 3-person carpool parking: Free
- Street parking: Free
- Commuter lots after 4 p.m. and before 7 a.m.: Free
*Any vehicle maintained, owned, or operated by an SPU student or employee must be registered with the Office of Safety and Security if it is to be parked on SPU’s campus, including city streets. Registration/application forms are available through Banner and in person.
Any changes in parking status must be reported to Safety and Security within 10 days of the change by calling 206-281-2922. Parking refunds are calculated in accordance with the tuition-refund policy.
Note: If you completely withdraw from the University, you must inform Safety and Security to be eligible for a refund of your parking fees.
Course and program fees
Certain courses have additional costs associated with them such as skiing, mountain climbing, some psychology labs, music composition, and math courses. For specific classes with fees, refer to the Time Schedule and/or revision listings.
- Undergraduate/post-baccalaureate internship: $125, per quarter
- EDSC 4240 course fee: $25, per quarter
Individual instruction fees are as follows:
- For nonmajors: $175, per credit
- For Music majors: $175, 1 or 2 credits
- Piano class instruction: $50 , 1 credit
- Piano class instruction: $75, 2 credits
- Voice class instruction (two periods weekly): $75, per quarter
- Theory lab fee (I–VI): $25, per quarter
- Testing Fee: One-time, nonrefundable fee in first nursing theory course. $100
- Clinical practicum fee: $80/practicum/internship credit
Lab fees: $200, per quarter
- Clinical Consortium fee: $100, per year
- Background check: $55/junior year; $17/senior year
- Books and supplies: $1,100 for Autumn Quarter, junior year, approximately
- Additional book costs: $100 per quarter, approximately
- Uniforms and shoes: $250, approximately
- Transportation/parking at practicum sites: Costs vary by quarter; students are responsible for their own transportation to practicum sites
- Other costs include personal health insurance, immunizations with yearly updates, BLS for health care provider (CPR training) and HIV/AIDS training.
- Costs at the end of the program are for the national licensure examination (NCLEX-RN) and state licensure. Check links for current costs.
Special examination fees
Credit by examination or challenge fee are as follows:
- Per-course examination fee: $100
- Per-credit hour fee: $40
- Study abroad administrative fee: $350 ($50 application fee and $300 deposit, both nonrefundable)
Students enrolled in off-campus study programs, including study abroad, will follow a special payment schedule. Students should contact Student Financial Services (SFS) as soon as they are accepted to participate in the off-campus program.
SFS will determine if financial aid is in order so those students may meet the tour departure date.