Transfer Student FAQs

What is the minimum GPA needed in order to transfer?
Typically, a minimum GPA of 2.5 is needed to be eligible for general admission to SPU. Some majors do require a higher cumulative GPA. Please check with your admissions counselor for more information.

Are Running Start students considered transfer students?
No. Students enrolled in college-level courses before graduating from high school must apply as freshmen. However, college credits will transfer under the same policies as for all transfer students.

What is the minimum number of credits needed to transfer?
There is no minimum number of credits needed to transfer. Once you have completed at least one college course after graduating from high school, you are considered a transfer student. Students with fewer than 45 quarter credits (30 semester units) must submit an official high school transcript and SAT or ACT score.

Do transfer students need to submit a high school transcript?
A high school transcript is required only if you have completed fewer than 45 quarter credits (30 semester units) at the time of application. However, if you took three years or more of a foreign language in high school with a "C" grade or better in the final course, this will fulfill our foreign language proficiency requirement. In this case, you should submit your official high school transcript to prove proficiency.

Do transfer students need to submit SAT or ACT scores?
Official SAT or ACT scores are required only if you have completed fewer than 45 quarter credits (30 semester units) at the time of application. A score of 580 or higher on the math section of the SAT, or 25 or higher on the math section of the ACT, will exempt a student from the math proficiency requirement. In this case you should submit your official test score.

Do transfer students need to submit a College Report through the Common Application?

No, transfer students are not required to submit the College Report. Just make sure to submit your official transcripts to complete your application!

I do not have a college advisor or registrar. How do I fill out the Education section in the Common Application?
Even though SPU does not require Advisor forms, you will still need to complete the Advisor information questions in the Common Application. Follow these steps to complete the Education section:

  • After you log into the Common Application, go to the dashboard and select “Seattle Pacific University
  • Under the Common Application section, select “Education” from the left
  • In the "Current or Most Recent College" section, use the following contact information to fill out the Advisor questions:
    • Under prefix, select either “Mr. or Mrs.
    • For first name, type “SPU.”
    • For last name, type “transfer.”
    • For job title, type "Advisor"
    • For email address, type “
    • For phone, type "206-281-2021"
  • Fill out the rest of the questions in this section, then click "Continue" to save your changes
  • Continue filling out the rest of the application!

Will Advanced Placement, International Baccalaureate, CLEP, or Cambridge International Exam credits used for my associate's degree be transferred directly from the two-year college?

No. In order to receive credit for any of these exams, you must have the testing agency submit official scores directly to SPU. Credit will be awarded using SPU's transfer policies for exams, found in the SPU Undergraduate Catalog.

Can I complete my Direct Transfer Agreement (DTA) associate's degree at SPU?
Possibly. If you are within 15 credits of earning a DTA associate's degree at a Washington state two-year school when you transfer to SPU, you may be eligible to participate in SPU's Reverse Transfer Agreement. Students participating in this program complete their final courses at SPU and transfer them back to their community college. Once the degree at the community college is received, students receive the transfer benefits of the DTA degree. Contact your Undergraduate Academic Counselor to discuss this option.

After I'm admitted, when will my transcripts be formally evaluated?
As an admitted transfer student, your transfer work is automatically evaluated by the Office of Student Academic Services.  You can access this information through SPU’s online student information system, Banner.  For more information on this process, how to access and review this information, as well as next steps and options for questions, please review this helpful guide.

When do I apply for my major?

  • If you intend to transfer directly into SPU’s nursing program, you must submit a nursing application along with the University application by January 15. The nursing program accepts students only once per year for the following Autumn Quarter.
  • If you wish to apply for the Visual Communication major, you must submit a portfolio no later than the second Tuesday of Fall quarter. You must have been accepted into the University and completed the pre-requisites before you can apply. Contact Professor of Visual Communication Karen Gutowsky-Zimmerman (
  • For any other major, you must complete your first quarter at SPU and fulfill all other application criteria for your major before applying. We offer transfer direct admission to a select group of majors; please see our list for more information.

Can transfer students live on campus?

  • On-campus housing is guaranteed for students 20 years old or younger at the start of the academic year.
  • On-campus housing may be available to transfer students up to age 24 on a space availability basis.
  • For more information about campus housing, visit Residence Life.

Can I earn my SPU degree online or through night classes?

Have Other Questions?

Email or call 800-366-3344.