Literature courses show how language enables us to investigate and shape our views of God, humanity, and the earth; writing courses of all kinds stress writing as a process of communication with readers and as an exploration of one’s own thoughts and feelings. Most of all, courses in English allow students to discuss the fundamental questions of human life and meaning, as well as to cultivate an appreciation of individual and cultural diversity.
Apply for the English major/minor
Through the English major, you will gain
- Knowledge of British, American, and world literature.
- Skill in literary criticism and scholarship.
- Understanding of the relationship between literature and the Christian faith.
- Proficiency in writing, whether critical or creative.
- Experience of the central role of the imagination in living lives of compassion and service in a diverse, interconnected world.