Updated February 9, 2021
Follow all Covid-19 Guidelines
Visit SPU Smart Start for the latest information, which will always supersede what is here.
General Info and Covid-19 Protocols for Music
Classes will be a mix of remote learning, hybrid, and fc-to-fc. All SPU Music courses run through Canvas. Additionally, some of our instructors will be using alternative / integrated software such as Zoom, Skype, Microsoft Teams, etc.
Q: What do I do if I do not have access to the needed online tools?
First, communicate with your professors about your needs. There may be SPU resources that can help.
Know that we have set up several workstations in isolation rooms (to be sanitized) in Nickerson Studios. Each station will have the microphones and computer setups needed to engage with your teachers.
Music Students will have card access to Crawford and Nickerson daily 6:00 a.m. - 11:00 p.m.
All rooms require a 2 hour empty time for air exchange and cleaning.
Reserve a room
- Bring your own stand.
- Wear a mask into the building. Once you are in the practice room with the door closed, you may remove it; then, put it back on to leave the building.
- Sanitize your space and anything you touch before and after.
- When making a reservation, add two hours to your reservation to allow for air exchange time. .
- Keep the door closed during your reservation and upon leaving to assist the HVAC systems.
Crawford Music Building
Practice Rooms: Strings and piano only. NO voice, brass, or woodwinds.
Crawford 211 is on a separate HVAC and is available for small chamber rehearsals for all students with priority to vocal, winds, and brass.
Crawford 201 and 103 are available for stings, guitar, and piano only.
The Crawford Student Lounge is closed.
NS103 (big room) is for all students with a priority for larger groups, Voice, Brass, Woodwinds.
All other rooms in the Nickerson Studios are available to reserve with a maximum of one person per room.
We have set up 6 additional tech stations in every room for your use.
Beegle Hall is reserved for percussionists only.
Q: What do I do if I don’t have the instrument I need?
Communicate with your professors early.
Know that the practice rooms are available 6 a.m. to 11 p.m. for piano.
We highly recommend that you purchase a keyboard.
The department does have 10 keyboards for quarterly check-out available in the main office.
- All ensembles are scheduled to run this quarter. We are trying some very innovative
things here, so be prepared to think outside the box!
- All live events are canceled. Stand by for some exciting online/remote concerts.
Recitals are approved with the following rules:
- Only three people in the room: Student, professor, pianist. (possibly a tech person).
- Livestream audience only.
- No live chamber music — recordings are OK, if you can produce it while apart.
Q: What options do I have for my recital?
You could continue to do your recital as planned with the above rules. Or, you could
reschedule your recital for next year to perform in front of a live audience (please
contact Bobbie at firstname.lastname@example.org to reschedule).
Alternatively, you could propose an alternative project
to substitute for your live performance.
All one-on-one private lessons will happen online. There are many formats that this will take including Zoom and Canvas.
We will continue to hold practicum at Thursday’s @ 10:30 online. Please save this time for all quarter. We will be meeting either in small groups by instrument area/studio or by major. From time to time, we will meet as a full group for our Futures of Music conversations.
Full Schedule below- This may change!
- September 17: Opening Practicum 10:30-11 – 11-12 New Student Orientation
- September 21: Studio (Vocal, Instrumental, Piano)
- September 31: Studio (Vocal, Instrumental, Piano)
- October 8: Studio (Vocal, Instrumental, Piano)
- October 15: Futures in Music with Angela Myles Beeching
- October 22: Futures in Music - Eric Branner Musician and CEO FONS
- October 29: Studio (Vocal, Instrumental, Piano)
- November 5: Practicum
- November 12: Practicum
- November 19: TBA