When you choose an academic major or minor in the Music Department, you will find the music program:
- Provides opportunities for all students to study music as an essential part of a liberal arts education in a comprehensive university.
- Encourages you to develop your fundamental musical talent and performance skills along with 21st century musicianship skills;
- Recognizes the interrelationship between music, our communities, and the other creative arts.
Challenges you to become a socially-conscious artist dedicated to creating positive change in our communities.
Additionally, Seattle Pacific’s Music program is a fully accredited member of the National Association of Schools of Music (NASM). It also maintains membership with the National Association for Music Education (NAfME) and the Washington University Music Administrators Association (WUMA). The Music Therapy program is accredited by the American Music Therapy Association.
Find out more about this program’s mission, vision, and learning outcomes.
- Music: Composition Project (BA)
- Music: Performance Project (BA)
- Music: Recording Project (BA)
- Music: Research Project (BA)
Our BA in Music degree has been completely reimagined to encourage lifelong growth and talent development and to address a wide range of vocational skills as a reality of working musicians in the 21st Century. We have created a student-driven and project-focused curriculum that reflects and engages with the professional music-making culture in Seattle and across the nation.
- In this program, you will learn to recognize the interrelationship between music and the other creative arts.
- You can choose from four areas within the BA in Music degree — Composition, Performance, Recording, or Research.
The Music Education major is accredited at the state and national levels, and our graduates are among the most sought-after educators in the field. You'll benefit from a combination of class and field work, which includes opportunities for diverse experiences within public and private school settings in urban and suburban Seattle. Each component of the program is designed to sharpen your skills, develop your competence and character, and prepare you for teaching and service.
Music Therapy Major
Seattle Pacific's Music Therapy major is the first undergraduate music therapy program in Washington state. As a Music Therapy major, you will choose one of three areas of emphasis:
Music study is, above all, grounded in performance. As a Music major or minor at Seattle Pacific University, you will work privately with one of our outstanding faculty. The following areas are available on campus: