Though future details may change, you may find these helpful.
- Competing students will be encouraged to attend a series of Resource Nights to be held on Wednesday evenings, January 15, 2014 through March 5, 2014. The sessions will feature community leaders and faculty members addressing specific topics that should be covered in a social venture plan. These sessions may be taken for credit as BUS 3682 Social Venture Planning. 2014 Workshop Schedule.
- Students planning to participate are asked to complete and submit the Intent to Participate form by February 11, 2014 to the Center for Applied Learning (email@example.com).
- The deadline to enter the competition is March 14, 2014. Each student team will submit an electronic version of their written plan, including financial statements, to CAL (firstname.lastname@example.org) by 5 p.m. on Friday, March 14, 2014. Each team should also send a one-page executive summary as a separate file. Here is a template for the written plan, indicating what things each plan should cover. Teams will also submit a signed hard copy of the Social Venture Plan Competition entry form.
- The written plans will be read and rated by outside judges. Readers will exercise their judgment as to how well a plan meets the competition criteria. In early April, students will receive feedback on their plans, including suggestions for what works and what areas should be given additional attention in preparation for the Showcase Round. The written plan ratings will be weighted and comprise 50 percent of the final score potential.
- Student teams will be scheduled for a coaching session with a business or non-profit community volunteer. Teams will be expected to attend a session with their coach prior to the Showcase Round. During the coaching session, teams will present their project to the coach, be asked questions pertaining to the judging criteria, and receive advice on how to present their project during the Showcase Round. Coaching will take place on April 8, 2014 from 6 to 7:30 p.m. in the SPU Library.
- All teams will proceed to the Showcase Round. Each team will be assigned a table top to be used for their display. Team members must staff the exhibit during the entire Showcase. This is the opportunity to “sell” the project to judges and the SPU community. The Showcase Round will be held on Wednesday, April 16, 2014 from 2 to 6 p.m. in the Weter Lounge. Winners and prizes will be announced immediately following the Showcase.