To apply for admission into the ARCSE program, please submit the following items and credentials:
- Graduate application form, available online here
- Official college/university transcript(s)
- One to two page personal statement
- Professional résumé
- Two letters of recommendation
- If employed in a school: one from an administrator and another from a teacher (Route 2 is for classified staff working with students such as para-educators or instructional aides; Route 4 is for limited certificate teachers of record, such as a middle school math teacher)
- If not employed in a school: one from someone who knows your work with kids and another professional recommendation
- Proof of WEST-B scores (or equivalent)1
- Passing (or attempt at) WEST-E or NES score(s)
- Verify endorsement readiness through PESB (if your college major matches your intended endorsement, complete the Endorsement Verification form in the application. If your major DOES NOT match your intended endorsement, please contact The Certification Office).
- Moral and Character Policy Form
- $50 application fee
Beginning in 2014 applicants may use SAT and ACT scores to meet part/
all of the WEST-B requirements
*Minimum SAT scores required: Math 515, Reading 500, Writing 490
*Minimum ACT scores required: Math 22, Reading 22, Writing 8
Early decision: November 15
Regular admission: February 1
ARCSE is SPU’s most affordable option for attaining teacher certification. Candidates should expect to enroll in both 6000-level core classes and 5000-level Teacher Development Plan classes, which feature lower tuition rates. Please note that 5000-level courses do not qualify for financial aid and must be paid for upfront. The estimated cost of tuition is between $16,-000-$18,000* (more for dual endorsing candidates such as special education and elementary).
*Candidates may be required to take additional content-area courses prior to enrolling in the program depending on their undergraduate major and
For questions about the program, contact the program coordinator Kirsten Koetje at firstname.lastname@example.org. For questions regarding admission requirements, contact
Graduate Admissions at 206-281-2091 or 800-601-0603
(toll free) or via e-mail at email@example.com.
For general information about the teacher certification process in the state of Washington visit k12.wa.us.