Whenever you send a résumé to a potential employer — whether you mail, email, fax, or hand-deliver it — be sure to include a carefully crafted cover letter.
Why a cover letter?
Why is a cover letter important? A good cover letter communicates things your résumé can’t, including:
- Your strong interest in the position
- Your keen understanding of what the position entails
- Your thorough understanding of the company
- Your self-confidence
- How you will add value to the organization
- Additional information about you that’s relevant to the job
Your cover letter will probably serve as your potential employer’s first impression of you. A well-written cover letter adds professionalism, a personal touch, and a competitive edge to your job search.