University outreach and education
In addition to our clinical services, the Student Counseling Center is committed to mental health promotion, education, and prevention through community engagement and outreach. We strive to be visible and trusted partners to the broader SPU community by serving the campus beyond our offices, and being appropriately engaged in all dimensions of university life. SCC outreach can include advising student groups, serving on panels, and speaking at presentations on issues of importance to the community. When a crisis occurs, we meet with affected community members to provide support and group facilitation. Outreach and discussions are tailored to the individual interests of the group and often focus on a particular mental health and wellness related topic, preventative strategies, or available resources. Please note that we need at least three weeks advance notice to schedule outreach programming.
Examples of outreach services we frequently provide include:
- Wellness, Prevention, Outreach Presentations*
- Resource tables at campus events
- Liaisons to campus organizations and departments
- Serving on discussion panels
- Support services at campus events
- Interviews for student projects on student wellness and mental health topics
- Debriefing with groups impacted by tragic or traumatic experiences (e.g., the death of a student)
*SCC staff can provide presentations on a wide variety of topics that are designed to support our students. These include, but are not limited to: overview of SCC services, self-care, emotional wellness, healthy relationships and boundaries, coping with anxiety, stress management, and supporting a student in distress.
To submit your request, please fill out this Outreach Request Form. We will respond within 5 business days.