Veterans Day 2020
Veterans Day card-signing event — Grateful to those who served
Update: The SPU community met the goal of sending 300 postcards, one for each member of the veterans home. “People felt this was a personal and positive way to show their gratitude to those who served our country in a year when our usual celebrations had to be rethought,” said Ruth Adams, associate vice president of student success and organizer of the postcard campaign.“We were so glad the VA was supportive of the idea. It may become part of our annual tradition.”
The Seattle Pacific University community is thanking those who have served our country by writing postcards of thanks and appreciation to the 300 residents of the Port Orchard Veterans Home, a state-of-the-art, non-institutional facility.
How you can participate
Living or working on campus?
- Pick up blank postcards — already stamped — from Lower Moyer, Monday–Friday, 10 a.m.–4 p.m.
- Or have them delivered to your campus office or residence hall by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, Oct. 30, at noon. (Cards can be delivered to you until Nov. 4, but postcards must be filled out and returned* by Friday, Nov. 6).
Not on living campus, or are working remotely?
- Email Ruth Adams at email@example.com by noon, Thursday, Oct. 29, to have postcards mailed to you in time for you to participate. You will receive mailing instructions with the postcards.
Then join us for a Zoom postcard-writing event, Monday, Nov. 2, at 4 p.m.
Write a short note, but no last names or return addresses, please. Here are ideas, but you can use your own!
- Thank you for your service and sacrifice. It is appreciated beyond measure, and I am so grateful.
- Thank you for the work you have done to protect our freedoms.
I am honored to be an American because of you.
Blessings and thankfulness, [name]
- I appreciate your commitment to serve this country and am grateful to you. Thank you for all you have done.
- Your service is appreciated and on Veterans Day I am grateful for your sacrifice.
With a heart full of thanks, [name]
Once your postcards are ready?
- If you are on campus, return the postcards to Lower Moyer if you are on campus by Friday, Nov. 6 at noon.
- If you are living or working off campus, follow the instructions you received with the postcards.