Education: BSc(Hons), University of Otago, 2001; PhD, University of Otago, 2005. At SPU since 2010.
Dr. Daniel Schofield came to SPU from New Zealand via a postdoctoral research appointment at the University of Pittsburgh. He brings an undying support of the Steelers and Pirates to Seattle.
At SPU, Dr. Schofield teaches upper-division classes in physical chemistry as well as sections of the first year general chemistry sequence. He also teaches a class on atmospheric chemistry and climate change abroad in his native New Zealand.
Dr. Schofield’s research interests are predominantly in the area of theoretical and computational chemistry. His research group studies the structure, dynamics, thermodynamics and spectroscopy of molecular systems where non-covalent interactions are important. Most recently he has begun experimental studies of the vibrational spectrum of hydrogen bound complexes.
- J. J. Goings, S.M. Ohlsen, K. M. Blaisdell and D. P. Schofield; “Sorption of H2 to open metal sites in a metal-organic framework: A symmetry-adapted perturbation theory analysis”, Journal of Physical Chemistry A, 2014, 118, 7411-7417
- R. A. Relph, T. L. Guasco, B. M. Elliot, M. Z. Kamrath, A. B. McCoy, R. P. Steele, D. P. Schofield, K. D. Jordan, A. A. Viggiano, E. E. Ferguson and M. A. Johnson; “How the shape of an H-bonded network controls proton-coupled water activation in HONO formation”, Science, 2010, 327, 308-312
- D. P. Schofield, J. R. Lane and H. G. Kjaergaard; “The hydrogen bonded OH-stretching vibration in water dimer”, Journal of Physical Chemistry A, 2007, 111, 567-572
- D. P. Schofield and H. G. Kjaergaard; “High-level ab initio studies of the electronic excited states of the hydroxyl radical and the water-hydroxyl complex”, Journal of Chemical Physics, 2004, 120, 6930-6934
- P. D. Cooper, H. G. Kjaergaard, V. S. Langford, A. J. McKinley, T. I. Quickenden and D. P. Schofield; “Infrared measurements and calculations on H2O-HO”, Journal of the American Chemical Society, 2003, 125, 6048-6049
Please view Dr. Schofield’s CV (PDF) for more information.