The Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) Workshop Series is a three-part professional development plan designed to equip employees with the habits of mind and tools to address diversity-related matters on campus and contribute positively to a culture of belonging at SPU. The series is guided by a belief that employees are better able to increase their diversity competencies when they have opportunity to develop this knowledge and skillset within the context of their professional roles. Upon completion of the series, we encourage participants to apply their learning to real-life situations on campus by working collaboratively towards the development of a department-level diversity action plan.
Diversity 101: Exploring the What, Why, and How of Diversity at SPU
Required of all new employees/Open to all employees
What do we mean by “diversity” at SPU, and why does it even matter? This introductory professional development workshop is divided into three parts and provides a shared language and framework for SPU employees to move forward productively in the work of diversity. Part I (the what) seeks to move participants from a narrow understanding of diversity that focuses on visible aspects of our social identities to a more complex understanding that includes an awareness of how institutional biases can reproduce group-based inequities. Part II (the why) examines SPU’s biblically-informed rationale for this work and introduces participants to Seattle Pacific’s diversity timeline to provide context for current engagement around issues of diversity, equity, and inclusion. Part III (the how) provides an overview of the role and function of the Office of Inclusive Excellence and resources available to employees. The workshop concludes with a call to action for participants to commit to continued learning and engagement in SPU’s DEI efforts.
- Thursday, September 30, 2021, 11 a.m.–12:30 p.m. Cremona 101. Register on Percipio (formerly Skillsoft) here.
- Thursday, January 27, 2022, 11 a.m.–12:30 p.m. Cremona 101. Register on Percipio (formerly Skillsoft) here.
- Thursday, April 14, 2022, 11 a.m.–12:30 p.m. Cremona 102. Register on Percipio (formerly Skillsoft) here.
Diversity 102: Understanding Our Social Identities in the Context of Christian Community
Open to all employees/Prerequisite: Diversity 101
How do our social identities affect the way that we view ourselves and others? In this 1-hour intermediate level workshop, participants have an opportunity to reflect on and discuss aspects of their social identities and explore the connection between becoming culturally self-aware and culturally responsive. Participants will leave the workshop with a better understanding of how their social identities shape the lenses they bring to the workplace, the barriers to truly hearing and understanding one another's positions and values, and the opportunities made available in Christian community to embrace, value, and engage differences with competence and care.
- Wednesday, October 6, 2021, 12–1 p.m. Cremona 102. Register on Percipio (formerly Skillsoft) here.
- Thursday, February 10, 2022, 11:30 a.m.–12:30 p.m. Zoom (link provided after registration). Register on Percipio here.
- Thursday, April 21, 2022, 11:30 a.m.–12:30 p.m. Zoom (link provided after registration). Register on Percipio here.
Diversity 103: Becoming a Faith-Formed Inclusive Community
Open to all employees/Prerequisite: Diversity 102
This 1-hour advanced workshop provides an opportunity for participants to play the role of diversity detectives who discover clues to help SPU become a more diversity-aware, equity-focused, and welcoming campus community. Join this interactive workshop and bring your sleuthing skills to uncover the biases and normalized aspects of institutional life that can remain hidden to the untrained eye. The workshop incorporates a brainstorming technique that encourages participants to identify and approach existing barriers with new solutions. Participants will conclude the session by identifying what bold steps they might take, individually and collectively, to strengthen SPU’s commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Thursday, February 17, 11:30 a.m.–12:30 p.m. Zoom (link provided after registration). Register on Percipio here.
- Thursday, April 28, 11:30 a.m.–12:30 p.m. Zoom (link provided after registration). Register on Percipio here.